17.[Where She Has A War In Her Mind]

[Phoebe at Hospital Later that Night]

As soon as the nurse directed me to my Father’s room, I made my way over to the bed and stood beside my mother in the chair. He was slightly awake and my heart was beating 5000 time quicker.

“What happened Mom?”

She turned to me, surprised. “When did you even come in, I didn’t hear you.”

“He’s okay? What’s wrong?” I asked frantically.

She sighed resting her hand on top of his. “He had a minor heart aneurysm Phoebe and he has---

“Don’t speak for me. I want to tell her myself.” He said sternly coughing a bit. I sat on the edge of the bed next to him. For years I have held anger in my heart for him, but seeing him here, in this hospital bed made me wonder why.

“Where were you so long Phoebe?”

“It had a lot of traffic Dad. I’m here now, what’s the matter.” Truth is I had gotten my god forsaken menstrual cycle , when I was about to drive here.

“Should we tell her Meredith?” He looked over at my mother.

She shook her head no and that made me angry. “What are you guys not telling me!”

“Sweetheart , I don’t think right now is the correct time to tell you.”

I sighed and sat closer to him on the bed. “Tell me anything Daddy.”

He smiled longing to hear me call him that. It was something I didn’t practice.

“Phoebe you know that I love you and that I’ve waited years for you to forgive me for the many wrong things I’ve done to you and your mother. I wasn’t always there like  I was supposed to be but from this moment on I’m going to be here for as long as I can.”

“Jesus Dad just spit it out!”

“I have lung cancer.” Those four little words stopped all the orbs from turning and my eyes went a drift and the universe crashed and burned all in one millisecond. Cancer? My eyes started pouring out bails of waters and I couldn’t understand why. I had no feelings for him before but now Cancer had me feeling like I had to.

I cried into my palms. “It’s okay baby girl. I’ll be okay.” He rubbed my leg.

I do believe that my sobbing was for other reasons, reasons I’m having conflict with myself about. Maybe it was because, I was angry at myself for talking to Kaitlyn’s father like that, when he was trying to be kind to me. Maybe it was because the blood was now gushing out of my vagina and I couldn’t help but let nature take its course as well as my emotions or maybe it was because I just felt like crying. Ever had those moments where the trembling lip cry comes on and you just can’t do anything about it?