18.[Where She Holds His Best Interest]

[Phoebe at School, Principal MacArthur’s office]

“What would you like to speak about?” He grinned, he was an older man and he reminded me some hat of James Earl Jones.

“Mr. MacArthur, I don’t mean to bother you, but I’d just like to inform you that my Father has been diagnosed with Lung Cancer and I want to spend as much time with him as possible. For some reason I’ve been feeling really depressed since the weekend and I apologize for my absence yesterday.”

“That’s fine; I had a sub for your class yesterday. But I understand, my mother lost her fight with breast cancer when I was going to college.” He chuckled. “It’s a hard road.”

“Yeah, I’ve only known for three days and I already feel down about it.”

“Its fine, if you’re absent some days I will understand, but make sure you call first so that I can have a substitute. I’ll do this for you because you’ve never missed a day before and you’re always on time. While other teachers who work in this facility, are always strolling in when they feel, but I appreciate you talking to me.”

“Thank you so much. He’s doing chemotherapy and he’s schedule to have his first surgery during next month, I might need some time there.”

“That’s fine.”

“Thank you, so much.” He stood up and reached for a handshake, but I hugged him. I was very grateful for the little leeway he was giving me. I’m such a perfectionist and over-thinker I thought I was going to be getting fired for missing a day. Honestly I think he just thought he had to baby me seeing I was the youngest on his staff. I figured he was old enough to be my dad.

“Okay I’ll get to class now.” I waved and closed the door, heading to my classroom. I pulled my bag closer to me. I know they were going to be excited to see me, because knowing them; they are entirely stubborn when it comes to new people.

I pushed the open and they were all they’re sitting in their seats, looking like perfect scholars. Something was very wrong. I looked to the front of the class and I older lady, maybe in her 40’s stood in front of them with her hands behind her back. I cringed a little, she looked so mean and so much of a disciplinarian.

“HI guyssss.” I sang , walking up to where she was. No one replied to me.

“I said Hi my Loveessss. You guys didn’t miss me yesterday?” I pouted, trying to get them to smile, but still nothing. I followed their eyes and they looked at me then at the substitute like they were waiting for approval. I turned to her.

“Thank you for holding my class, I appreciate it.”

“Your children lack discipline and that reflects on the teacher. Maybe you need more of my services.” I frowned. “I think they are very mannerly. What did you do to them?”

She smile, revealing her big gap in the front of her teeth. Planes could fly through there, her split was not cute.