33.[Where She Acknowledges Her Fondness]

[Phoebe—At Her House 2 Days Later]

"I'm going dowwwwwwn! Ohh baby I'm going dooowwwn , cause' you ain't around, my whole, world's up!----sideee down." I screamed, while I had in my headphones. It's amazing how remarkably stupid and irritating you sound when you sing with headphones in. I know I don't sound anywhere near to Mary J. Blige.

I tied my sweater around my waist and fluffed out my hair looking in the mirror. I didn't really have to go to the school today. School was officially closed for the holidays and you only had to come in to prepare for the New Year, but it wasn't that serious. Principal McArthur wasn't even there when I went in yesterday.

But Of course Malcolm was. I never once met eye-contact with him, but I could feel him staring me. I thanked God other staff members were there, so when they left to go to their car so did I. I wasn't taking any chances with him. He needs help and that's why I filed for a restraining order as well. I know it'll take a while to come through and that sooner or later my parents will find out but I needed to get it done.

August was supposed to meet me at the Rent-A-Bike Hike tours place so I didn't want to keep him waiting so I got ready heading down there. I must admit I have a lot of fun in his company though I try and deny it. He does stuff with me Roscoe never has. And I do enjoy spending time with him. As much as Roscoe says he'll do anything to be with me again, he won't go to the beach and ride bicycles, he just wants to lay up in bed and count money. Money he obviously doesn't have now since he's asking me for some.

He's been blowing up my phone constantly and I don't even know how he got my number. I answered the first time, hearing his voice and hung up after he started asking me about the money, where am I going to get that type of money, from my ass crack? I've been saving and I do, have at least 15,000 but that's my emergency fund, I'm not working to take care of a grown man.

He got into his own shit as much as I want to help him, I don't know how to. Of course daddy as money, millions but that's unreasonable to ask them for that type of change.  I'm really nervous for him. He needs to go to rehab, get himself clean. He doesn't look right, his eyes...they lack sleep and his body lacks nutrients. I did love him once upon a time and I wouldn't want him to get killed but I just don't know what to do right now. I'm trying not to think about it, thinking his "lah" problem might evaporate, but clearly he's desperate if I have nearly 21 missed calls from him.

I'm not even getting how he could need that type of money when he's the one that supplies the drugs. He's the trap king, he's the money chaser. Obviously he over-extended himself and now he needs Ms. Mary had a little lamb to save him.  He's making me feel so bad, like I'm obligated to help him. He left me a voicemail, saying if you ever loved me you'd help a nigga.

Is he serious? We broke up almost 5 years ago. I left him meaning I didn't have intentions of being anything with him again and now..This time in my life where I'm happy he decides to re-surface. It's always something with him. For some reason I know he doesn't only need 20 grand, Roscoe can easily scrape that up, I know he needs probably much more than that, but I can't help him. I really can't.

"Aye, snap out of it Ma."

I shook my head looking at August standing in front of me, with a pant that stopped under his knees.

"Woah, I didn't know your home had rats, where's the rest of your pants?" I laughed.

He shook his head, raising his head giving me a look. "Aye, my stylist say this pants the shit. This that Newarlinnnss  shit. You ain't got nuttn' on meh."