Draco & Jane

I stared at him. I didn’t know what else to do. I mean, what was I supposed to say? I guess I could have come up with something, but I couldn’t bring myself to say anything. My mind went blank. Looking at him, seeing him after all this time, it almost made me forget.

For a moment, I forgot that we broke up. I forgot Voldemort was on a power-hungry quest to take over the world…and was winning. I forgot Harry, Ron and Hermione were risking their lives. I forgot I ever dated Harry. I forgot I was pregnant. I forgot that Harry thought he was the father and I wasn’t sure. I forgot why I even came to see him.

But just for a moment. Because before I knew it, reality hit me. It was a little voice in the back of my head that reminded me of why I came. A little voice that reminded me of this little baby inside me.

And for the first time, I overcame the shock of seeing him before me and thought of the bigger picture. I stopped thinking of myself and remembered that this was bigger than he and I.

“Draco.” I said with a smile that revealed little happiness.

“Jane.” He whispered with pain in his eyes. This war was destroying him; that much was obvious.

I didn’t know what Draco was going through here. It killed me to imagine the possibilities of what he had to endure in his own home.

Slowly, he made his way into the room, closing the door behind him and coming closer to me.

“How have you been?” He asked.

He was like a ghost. So pale, so like the walking dead. He had even darker circles than the last time around his eyes.

“I can’t complain.” I said. Well, technically I could, but I knew I had it much better than others caught up in this war. Like, say Draco?

“And you?” I asked knowing the answer.

He tried to smile, but it came out more like a grimace.

“I’m alive.” He stated.

Yes he was. Barely.

“You said we needed to talk.” His voice sounded so worn.

I nodded, getting nervous butterflies in my stomach. This was going to be one of the hardest things that I’ve ever done.

“I’ve…I’ve tried to think of ways to tell you. I must have attempted a thousand letters.” I smiled at that memory, even though it wasn’t necessarily a happy one.

He brought his hand to my cheek and tried to read me.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

My hands were shaking I was so nervous.

“I know we broke up, but at a time you said you loved me. Before I do this, I need to know…what’s going on with us? I know you had said you wanted to wait it out through the war, but I need to know…What are your plans if this turns out the way we want it to? And if it doesn’t? I know I said I’d wait, or if I didn’t say it, you know I would. But, are you in this for good? Because I need to tell you something. It’s not going to be easy to hear and it’s going to be even harder for me to tell. I just need some re-assurance before I say anything…”

It was selfish of me to ask for his commitment before he even knew what it would get him into, but I wouldn’t have been able to say the words if he hadn’t said what he did.

“This is a mess, Jane. Everyday spent here, in this house, and loyal to him…you have no idea what it’s like. It’s nearly impossible for me to get out of bed, hell even falling asleep is near impossible. But there’s one thing that gets me through it. There’s only one reason why I go through it, and the reason is love. I know that sounds so cheesy, but seriously, if it weren’t for you, I’d be dead. I wouldn’t know how to deal with all of this. Every night, I can only sleep when I think of you being safe or lying next to me. Every day I only get out of bed thinking that if I can just get through this one more day, it’s another day closer to being with you again.”

With these words, I knew how stupid it had been of me to doubt what we had only moments before. I knew what he felt was true. I knew we were made for each other, and nothing could break us. Maybe it wasn’t fair for him to find out this way. In fact, it’s not even in the slightest. But he has the right to know.

He held my hand and kissed me. It was gentle and lingering. It was a promise. It said, ‘I’ll love you forever.’ Our love could and would make it through anything. Even this war.

Which is why I was able to say without fear or hesitation what exactly was going on.

“It’s not fair for you to find out this way, but you have a right to know.” I started out and he listened, having my full attention.

“I’m pregnant.”