The Diary

"How'd you do on the last test?" he asked me. This time it was noon on a Saturday. It was our last day before we were leaving for Christmas.

"Aced it." I told him casually.

Then we had nothing else to say. I didn't need to study anymore because of vacation and we were just sitting there. Not talking. We were in the Astronomy tower, just the two of us.

"Do you like Quidditch?" he asked as if his mother told him to ask me. Like he was forced into it, he wasn't asking of his own accord.

"I don't mind watching it but I don't particularly like it. No." I told him. "Why?" I asked.

He chuckled. "You're dating the star Quidditch player of Hogwarts and you don't even like Quidditch?" he asked.

"That's not why I'm dating him and did you honestly just compliment him?"

"No! I did not intend it to be a compliment and if that's not the reason, why are you dating Pottyhead?" he asked in his usual harsh voice. Usually when he talked to me like that, I didn't care. He talked to everyone like that and I never took it personally. This time, for some reason, it stung a little.

"That's not your business." I said quietly.

He dropped it.

"What do you want for Christmas?" he asked.

"I don't know...a diary I guess. Why?" I demanded.

"Just curious." He shrugged.

"What do you want for Christmas?"

"It doesn't matter." He said standing up to leave.

I stood up to follow him. "And what I want matters?" He didn't answer.

I stepped in front of him. "Why are you so bipolar?" I asked him.

He glared at me, still not answering me.

"Can you just tell me what the hell you're doing with Potter?!" he yelled.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

He took a deep breath to calm himself. "Nothing." He said leaving.

So that was our happy Christmas and New Year. We wouldn't see each other for a week and a half and that's how we left each other.

***

Vacation was very good leading up to Christmas. I hadn't thought of Malfoy once and I was happy and excited about Christmas. For some reason, I was mad at Malfoy. I had said goodbye to Harry on the train and wrote him everyday of vacation.

I was staying with my parents for vacation. They decided that we would spend Christmas in France. That was my Christmas present. Vacationing in France. We were staying at a wizard resort just a few miles from Versailles. I loved that castle so much. When I was little my parents used to take me there and I would play in the gardens.

However, I wasn't allowed to go anywhere because of you-know-who. I had a couple Order members guarding me from a distance at all times. Nobody I knew in particular, it was the less experienced Order members because Harry needed the experts and Dumbledore thought it fit to have me tailed as well.

Anyways, Harry sent me a bracelet for my birthday. He sent Hedwig and the bracelet was beautiful. It changed colors every 15 minutes. In Harry's letter it said 'Happy Birthday and Happy Christmas' so the present went both ways. My birthday was December 28 so that's usually what happens. However, my parents got me a present.

"Mom, we're in France. That was present enough." I tried to explain to her. You see, we weren't rich, but we weren't poor either. We were like, lower middle class and staying in France was a lot of money, I didn't want them spending all their money on me.

"Nonsense. Besides we already got it for you." Dad said walking into my bedroom. In his arms was a tiny grey kitten.

I gasped.

"You've always said you wanted a kitten." Mom said.

"I didn't think you'd actually get me one!" I said jumping up all excited. Dad handed her to me.

"She's adorable." I said.

"What are you going to name her?" Dad asked.

I studied the kitten for a while. "I'll think about it." I told him. My parents left me to my thoughts and I played with the new kitten on my bed.

I noticed something while I was playing with her. She had the same colored eyes as Malfoy. Suddenly I knew what to name her.

Just then I heard a tap at my window. I looked up and saw a crow with a small package.

I got up, took the package from it and it flew away.

I opened it. There was a diary inside. I opened up to the first page. It was blank. Then, slowly, words started to form on the first page.

"It's a diary. Write Secret before you start to write and only you will have access to what you are writing. Write nothing before you write, and I will see what you've written. Now we don't need to send owls to meet in private."

It wasn't signed from anybody, but it didn't need to be. I knew who's it was.

I left it on my nightstand and went to bed, the kitten, Dragon, playing at my heels. As I fell asleep, the words Happy Birthday slowly scrawled across the blank page and then slowly faded into nothing but a blank page.