Only Hope

• Dedicated to Everyone who did something nice for someone today

I couldn’t speak.

First I looked at Hermione, and her face was a mixture of pure fury and shock.

The next 60 seconds were horrible. It was dead quiet. Then Hermione dragged the four of us, Ron, Harry, and I upstairs so we could have some privacy.

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME, JANE?!” Hermione yelled some more.

“Ugh…surprise?” I asked sheepishly.

Hermione let out a yell of frustration.

Ron looked like he so didn’t want to be in the room and I couldn’t even look at Harry.

“Hermione,” Ron said, “Maybe we should, ugh…” he said pointing to the door trying to give Harry and me some privacy.

“I thought you were sure you weren’t!!!” Hermione yelled.

I sighed, “So did I.”

She was going to yell some more but Ron dragged her out of the room, leaving me alone with Harry.

Thanks Ron…

He looked shocked. He didn’t look angry just shocked.

He sat down on the bed that was in the room and I leaned on the wall next to the window and waited for him to speak.

“Are you sure?” He asked after what felt like a century.

“Yes.” I whispered.

He was silent again for a long time.

“Is it…you know, mine?” He asked.

“Harry…” I said, why he had to ask the one question that I couldn’t answer was beyond me.

Instead of answering, I took off the concealment charm so he could see that I’d been pregnant for a while.

If possible, more color drained from his face.

He started to breath very deeply and after about five minutes, he started firing away questions.

“Do you want me to stay with you?”

“Harry…”

“No, but I need to get the horcruxes…”

“Harry…”

“I mean, how did this even happen?!”

“Harry-“

“I knew we’d regret that ‘adventure’ to Hogsmeade!”

“Haaaarrrrrryyyyy…”

“Should we get married?”

“HARRY!!!!”

He sighs then says, “Yes, Jane?”

“This doesn’t change anything.”

Confusion spread across his face, which was now regaining some color.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, we’re still…broken up.” I said pronouncing each syllable carefully.

He said nothing for a long time again.

“Look, Harry…I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I know I should have, but I had my reasons.”

He avoided eye contact.

“What were those reasons?”

“Can you guess?”

He sighed, “Dangerous for you-know-who to find out?”

“That’s one reason, and another is you need to focus.”

He said nothing.

After another very long awkward silence I said, “Harry, can you do something for me?”

He looked at me with eyes that had seen pain.

“I don’t know if it’s selfish of me to ask anything of you, but I need you to do this one thing for me. I…I need you to focus. Focus on this war and on you-know-who. Focus on ending this once and for all. There’s plenty of time for you to see the baby later, but for now…I need you to destroy him. You’re our only hope.”

His eyes glazed over, and ever so slowly, he nodded.

As he left the room, I ran my hand over my stomach. Something in my gut told me that this was wrong…

My baby had yet to meet its father.

I grabbed a parchment and a piece of paper and began writing.