Promise

A month and a half had gone by and I still couldn’t get used to this ring on my finger. 

It’s a week and a half into February and Narcissa won’t let me get out of bed for anything. 

Can you guess why? 

Yeah, I’m nine months pregnant. We’re pretty much expecting the baby at any given moment. 

Draco and Narcissa are never far. In fact, Draco never leaves my side and Narcissa is practically always here, and if not here she’s very close, like she’s expecting me to go into labor at any moment. 

“And nobody has a clue of what’s going on?” I asked Draco. 

“Not a clue.” He smiled, “But that could also have to do with my father. Some of the death eaters noticed that my mother and I haven’t been around lately and he’s been making some excuses up.” 

“What kind of excuses? And wait, your father knows?!” 

He laughed at my reaction, he’s been very giddy lately, and he said, “Well, like being sick and whatnot. And yes, he knows.” 

“When did he find out? What did he say?!” I demanded. 

We were both sitting on the bed propped up against the headboard. 

“My mother told him right before I asked you to marry me.” He had a huge smile on his face as he finished that statement. 

“Well don’t I feel stupid, that was a while ago!” 

He nodded, “Yeah, he wants to meet you but I think he’s trying to hold off. I don’t know what he’s thinking.” He said shrugging and I nodded.

He took my left hand and held it close to his face, a huge grin plastered there. 

“You love it, don’t you?” I asked wiggling it in front of him. 

“Yes. Yes I do.” He chuckled. 

I did too. I can’t believe how much I love this ring. 

I laid my head on his shoulder and he kissed the top of my head. 

I sighed. “What are you thinking about right now?” I asked him. 

I could almost feel how big his smile was. “The night I put that ring on your finger.” 

So now we’re both smiling. And having a flashback. 

***

After about five seconds of silence, I turned to look at him.

I had meant to say “What?” but I couldn’t speak...

He must have been laughing at the expression on my face. 

“I’m sorry...what?” I finally asked. 

He said it again like it was the simplest phrase, like one hears it everyday. “Marry me.” 

Then seeing how I still wasn’t responding he reached into his pocket and got down on one knee. 

“Oh God, please don’t get on your-”

“Jane Watson-”

“Oh my...”

“will you-”

“here it comes...” that one he couldn’t hear.

“marry me, Draco Malfoy?” 

I looked down and there was a little black box in his hand. 

“Been planning this have you?” To which he smirked at and opened the box.

I nearly died seeing the ring inside. “Oh wow...” 

He laughed, “You like it?” 

I looked at it closer and said, “Yeah...” 

“Well, if you answer the question, then it’s yours.” 

“What question?” Of course I was totally messing with him. He rolled his eyes. 

I laughed then said, “Yes. I will marry you. But under one condition.”  Yeah, thats right. I said yes. 

He was smiling a huge smile then looked at me skeptically and said, “yeah...?” 

“I want to wait a while. I don’t want to get married right away.” 

He nodded, “Ok, no problem. But...you want to get married, right?” He asked. 

“Yes. And no-” his face fell a little bit, “It’s not that I don’t want to...I just want to wait until we’re a little older. Just a little bit. I’m not saying years, but I want to wait. Why rush into anything? Let’s see where we are in, I don’t know, a year? Let’s see what happens with the war? But, yes, I want to marry you.” I smiled at him. Honestly, I hadn’t really thought about marriage, and getting thinking about getting married quickly sort of freaked me out a little, but who else would I marry? I love Draco and I could never imagine my life without him... 

He smiled. “Fair enough.” 

Then he stared at me for a moment before bursting into a jubilant smile and, well some would say hug me, but I’m going to be honest and say, he sort of tackled/attacked me. I would have laughed at his reaction had I been able to breathe. 

He kissed me, then whispered, “I promise I’m yours forever.” 

**

I looked up at Draco who was still smiling like a crazy person. I giggled and he looked at me, still smiling that huge smile. 

Narcissa came in then. 

She smiled at us and said, “Lunch should be ready shortly. I don’t know what’s taking the elves so long...” 

“It’s alright, mum.” Draco said happily. 

Narcissa walked over to my side of the bed and sat on the edge of it. 

Draco gave me sort of a sideways hug, but it was more like a squeeze because his arm was already around my shoulder. 

“How are you feeling?” Narcissa asked yet again. 

As I opened my mouth to answer, we heard what sounded like an explosion. 

BANG!!! 

A look of panic overcame Narcissa’s face as she stood up and said, “Stay here!” firmly to me. 

She ran out and Draco hissed in pain suddenly. 

“What is it??” I asked very worried. 

“He’s angry. I’m sorry, love, but I have to go. I’ll be back as soon as possible!” He said leaving the room quickly. 

Now I was scared. 

But it was nothing compared to what I felt a few moments later when I heard a bone chilling scream. 

Voldemort was angry... 

And he was here.

In this house. 

With Narcissa.

And Draco. 

I don’t know if I’d ever been so scared in my life...

Could it get any worse?

I sat up a little out of instinct just because I was scared. 

I gasped and realized that it just got a thousand times worse...

My water broke.