Tell Me I'm Wrong

Surprisingly, Remus didn’t have to come back for me. I apparated back to the Burrow barely a minute after Draco left. And yes, I can apparate now. J Though I kind of get sick every time…

I landed in front of the Burrow and well…you know.

Remus was standing in and doorway and saw me apparate. He ran over to me quickly followed by Tonks, who held my hair for me.

Remus asked, “What happened?!” in a worried yet almost angry voice.

I shrugged and said, “Weak stomach.”

I was avoiding eye contact with Tonks, feeling her eyes on me.

“Remus, could you give us a moment?” she asked quietly yet with authority.

He looked from me to her, then nodded and left. Tonks made sure that he was out of earshot before speaking.

“Alright, Jane. What’s going on?” She asked in a gentle voice.

“What do you mean?”

She sighed. “I know.”

I kept my poker face. No emotion…no words…

“I heard you in the bathroom this morning…and the morning before that…” She paused trying to read my reaction.

I kept up my façade as she continued, “Please convince me that I’m wrong…” She said in almost a whisper.

This was it. In this moment my life was going to change so much more than it already had, regardless of whether I wanted it to or not.  

Looks like secrecy is done. How could I possibly hide this anyways?

I looked down as I quietly said, “You’re right.”

“Oh, Jane…” She covered her mouth with her hand.

She was silent for so long after that.

“What are we going to do?” She whispered mostly to herself.

“We?” I questioned.

“You don’t think we’re going to make you deal with this alone, do you?”

I just shrugged.

“How? How did this even happen?” She said baffled. She sighed, “Oh, don’t give me that look, I know how I just mean…when I was at Hogwarts…I guess things were different.”

She came closer to me and gave me a hug.

It was nice.

“Come on, let’s go inside and we can talk about this.” She said.

I nodded fighting tears.

Maybe…just maybe…I’m not actually alone.

***

“Are you going to tell?” It was late and everyone was in bed but the two of us. We were sitting in front of the fire with hot chocolate.

She sighed, “Of course I am. How could I not?”

I nodded. “How long were you going to try to hide it?” She asked.

I shrugged. “Until I couldn’t I guess…”

“And does Harry know?”

I swallowed some more hot chocolate and shook my head.

She sighed, “I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.”

“It’s a good thing. He doesn’t need to know about it. He’s busy and it would just put him into more danger if he knew.” I explained.

“That maybe…but don’t you think he has the right to know?” She asked.

‘Not necessarily…’  I shrugged, “Possibly. But its not like anyone knows where he is anyways.”

She looked at me intently. “Do you?

I smirked. “Even if I did, I wouldn’t tell you.”

She gave me a half smile. “I don’t know if that’s foolish or wise.”

I ignored that comment.

She turned very serious and looked at me closely, “Do you realize how serious this is?” she asked.

“I’ve been trying not to think about it…but, to an extent, yes. I do.”

“You can’t go back to Hogwarts, and you’ll have to go into hiding.”

I stared into the fire. “Naturally.” I said in a monotone.

She sighed. “This is big, Jane.”

I felt more tears building up beneath my eyes.

For some reason, she decided that she had tortured me enough…

“You’ve had a long day…why don’t you go to bed and we’ll talk about this more tomorrow.” She attempted a sweet smile that didn’t meet her eyes.

I nodded, drank the rest of my how chocolate and did as she said, going upstairs and into bed, the reality of my situation crashing down on me.

I couldn’t hold back tears anymore, perhaps the trillionth tears I’ve cried this week.

This isn’t a dream…this is really happening…

“I’m really pregnant.”