13. Paper Umbrella

"It's coming, it's falling between the torn sky. One drop, two drops, a spring shower.
I'm drawing you out, calling out to you as dawn falls like the rain."
- Paper Umbrella by Yesung

•••

It was almost midnight. The bedroom was getting colder without changing the temperature of air conditioner. The lamp in the room was still on, Win was able to see everything clearly. He was wide awake.

Win leaned his back to the headboard of the bed while Bright was lying on the bed with his head on Win's lap. Win's hands were busy. One of them was caressing Bright's hair and another one was held by the older one. It had been going on for hours. Bright refused to let go.

Few hours before, Win needed to beg Bright to let him taking a shower. It was so impressive for Win that Bright could really cling yet acting cold to another person like a cat. He was befuddled of how to handle him. This night, Win learned that a little cuddle was able to tame Bright.

"You must sleep, Phi..." Win said.

This was not the first time Win remind Bright to sleep. He repeated it when he checked the time on his phone.

Bright stared at Win. His lips were pouted in protest, that's why Win could not force Bright to do anything and only replied Bright with a smile.

Surprisingly, this time, Bright closed his eyes not long after that. Win stayed in the same position for 30 minutes more until he heard the light snore, a sound of Bright falling into a deep sleep.

Win changed his lap with a pillow for Bright to sleep, in a snail-like way, not to wake the older one up.

Win already stepped out of the bedroom but when he turned his head to see Bright once again, he came back to fix the blanket. He walked to the side that was nearest to Bright's face. He brought his face closer to Bright's, but when tears started filling his eyes, he realized that he was not strong enough to give a farewell touch. He pressed his forehead together with Bright's.

"I'm grateful I got to know you, Phi." He whispered.

Win hurriedly got up when he felt his tears was on the brink of falling. He left the room and closed the door quietly. From now on, he would pray for Bright's happiness from afar and this moment would be left in the back of his memories train. Forever.

Deep down inside, Bright could feel it strongly. Win wanted to go. Win wanted to leave. Win wanted to end everything. Meanwhile, Bright, with his unnamed feeling and full awareness of what was in Win's mind, had done what's within his ability to keep Win by his side a little longer. He had absolute knowledge that he might not be able to have the same relationship with Win like this if Bright let him go.

The moment Win closed the bedroom door at 2 AM tonight, Bright opened his eyes. He did not sleep. The last time Win asked Bright to sleep, Bright was aware that the younger one was tired of holding back bitterness with showing Bright his smile. That time, Bright decided to release him.

Bright noticed that Win had been about to go once and returned to fix his blanket, but Bright did not catch the hands to hold him back.

Bright was able to hear Win sobbed before leaving, but he did not wipe the tears.

Bright might not understand why Win wanted to let him go, but the only thing he knew that Win was sad and devastated to do all of these things. Still, Bright did not chase after Win before he went too far.

The only reason was because he did not know what he would offer Win if he wanted Win to stay with him. His feeling alone was not enough to persuade Win that Bright wanted to be with him.

It was frustrating for Bright to see Win sad yet Win did not tell him anything. He was cornered by the willingness to do something for Win but he had no idea what happened. Let alone how to solve the problem.

"I'm grateful I got to know you, Phi..."

Bright took a deep breath as he recalled Win's last words for him. He pulled his blanket to cover his whole body while muttering...

"No, you are not. Damn it."

•••

👋🏻😢

I know it's the shortest chapter you've read so far, but believe me it took so long to finish this one because I have to deal with my own emotion while typing.

I appreciate your vote and comments.
Thank you :')

xoxo,

dedededeva 💋