04. Hard Candy

"I don't know if the stars will disappear tomorrow. I don't know how the sky will be tomorrow. But I know my heart."
- ลูกอม (Hard Candy) by WhatChaRaWaLee

•••

Bright opened his eyes this morning. The curtain in his bedroom was not fully covered the window and he slept facing the wrong side. The sun shone his face, it woke him up. He put his feet on the floor and started walking out of his bedroom. Slowly, he opened the door of the bedroom which was right in front of his room. He leaned his back on the door frame, enjoying the view even though the room was dark.

Bright took a deep breath before leaving the bedroom. He kept the door opened. He did not know if his feeling now was right considering he just broke up like... a week ago? He regretted how the relationship he thought was fine all this time had to end like this. On the othe hand, he was flabbergasted because the sadness could not stop him being happy when he was with his friends and-

"P'Bright, is that you?"

Bright was preparing breakfast in the pantry. A little sound could woke someone who was sleeping up.

"What are you doing khrab?" The croaky soft voice made Bright turned his back for a moment, then back to make something. "Do you have any class or event today? You woke up so early."

Bright did not say anything, ignoring another person's question.

"Then, I will continue sleeping na khrab."

"Ai Win."

Win, who was staying overnight in Bright's condo because they played many rounds of Fifa until 3 AM, paused his foot steps to face Bright. The older one came closer to him and gave a gentle slap on Win's cheek that enough to make Win wincing.

"Wake up, won't you?" Bright said after giving Win a shock therapy.

Win could not continue sleeping, so he took a seat on the dining chair, yawning several times until two slices of toast bread with hazelnut spread landed in front of him.

"Thank you khra-"

Before Win finished thanking Bright, a glass of fresh milk appeared in front of him.

"P'Bright, you should eat, too."

"I can eat later." Bright took a seat in front of Win. "You have to eat. After that, you can have more sleep."

Win nodded. He followed the command as long as he could sleep more. "If you don't have any schedule today, can I go home later in the afternoon? I'm super sleepy."

"Hmm, sure." Bright allowed him right away. "I will also welcome you if you want to live here."

Win almost choked on his milk. "K-khrab?" He was uncertain with what he just heard. "How's that again, Phi?"

"You can live here if you want to." Bright repeated his words. "I mean, there is an empty bedroom, you can play game with me all the time, and you can make me happy instantly, so it will be symbiosis mutualism for us."

Win laughed. "I'm not a clown. I won't make you happy everyday, Phi. I can feel down and depressed, too."

Bright shrugged. "Ok, then. You're right. You are bothersome and like to talk in a roundabout way. You can cause me a headache." Bright agreed with Win. "I won't ask you again."

Win smiled. He understood if Bright was lonely since he had lived with someone around him for a long time but suddenly that someone was gone. Win's mind could not stop thinking about how to help Bright in the best way possible. "Maybe... you have to find a girlfriend soon to make you happy again."