Chapter 1

MULANS POV

School was one word for it. Not that it looked like any regular school I had ever seen. Disney Academy was one of a kind. The school was home to elite graduates, and word was that once accepted, you could do anything. Be anything.

School was one word, sure. Another one was home.

I stepped through the doors of the majestic Disney Academy, or DA for short. I looked down on the piece of paper in my hand, that the secretary had given me. About an hour ago, there was a short orientation in the gym for all incoming freshman, going over basic school rules and policy, and finally handing out room assignments.

My dorm was number 227. Each dorm shared three students. I had no clue where it was though, as I had been wondering the dorm halls for some time, and the last dorm room number is saw was 473. I let out a quiet groan, wishing I had swallowed my pride earlier and picked up a school map that was offered to all freshmen. Last time I let my pride get in the way! I snatched my bag, where my loyal and best friend Mushu sat in.

"Mushu! I'm lost!" I hissed.

"Girl, go make some friends! We need to work on your people skills," the red dragon smirked. I glared at him. Some help he was.

I looked around, trying to find a teacher in the bustle of students around me, but no such luck. Exasperated, I tapped the nearest girl beside me. She was petit, very pretty, a brunette, and had her nose stuck in a book.

"Um, excuse me, do you know where dorm 227 is?" I asked her. She let out a little gasp, and looked up quickly.. "Sorry! I didn't mean to startle you..." I apologized quickly.

"Um, yeah I do. That's my dorm!" The brunette smiled timidly at me. I smiled at her, wanting to make a good first impression, just as my mother always encouraged me to do.

"That's my dorm too! I'm Mulan." I introduced myself.

"My name is Belle. We can go up to the dorm together," Belle offered, closing her book and returning a smile back. I nodded, and began to walk with her.

I followed Belle up some stairs. Eventually, we walked into a long hallway with a couple of doors. I spied a door with the number 227 on it. I smiled, relieved.

I opened my bag, looking for my key. I rummaged through my bag, looking for it, but no luck.

Hurriedly, I grabbed Mushu, wondering if he had maybe seen it. Upon seeing Mushu, Belle gasped softly, looking surprised.

"Belle?" I asked. "Are you okay?"

"That's a... a... dragon!" she gasped.

"A dragon who was trying to take a nap!" Mushu responded crankily.

"Um, yeah. He's my best friend," I offered as an explanation. "He's not scary, I promise."

"Not scary? Not scary? I'll have you know... I'm one tough dragon!" Mushu boasted. I glared at him.

Belle giggled. "He's kinda cute," she decided. "I never knew dragons could be domesticated."

"Cute? Why I oughtta-" Mushu began to snap at her, but I silenced him with a look.

"Mushu, I can't find my key. Did you take it?" I demanded.

"We had a key?" he asked, looking surprised.

"It's okay, I have an extra key," Belle said, and handed me one.

"Thanks Belle." I smiled at her. Silently, I thanked whatever roommate ancestors were watching over me to grant me such a great person to have as a roommate.

We quickly walked into our dorm. One room was already decorated, with lots of pictures of the ocean and strangely enough, mermaids.

A red headed girl suddenly burst out of the bathroom with a fork in her hair, and a towel around her neck. Unlike Belle, this girl was a little more built, and wore a crop top and shorts, with sandals. She looked as if she had just spent the day at the beach, and her sun kissed tan definitely helped with the image.

"Hi! I'm Ariel! Are you my dorm mates?" the girl asked us, her voice a little rushed and out of breath, but excitement sparkled in her eyes.

"I'm Mulan," I replied, staring at the fork in her hair.

"I'm Belle," Belle introduced herself.

"And I'm the great, the powerful Mushu!" Mushu popped out of my bag.

"What is that?" Ariel pointed at Mushu.

"Um, just a friend."

"Aren't these dorms not supposed to be coed?" Ariel wondered out loud.

"Um, maybe?" I grinned, dumping my stuff on the nearest bed and sitting on it.

"So, are either of you going to join any clubs or teams? I'm joining the swim team." Ariel asked, as she brushed her hair with a fork. I thought it was weird. But I let it go.

"Um, I'm not really good at anything..." I said. I was a bit awkward. I winced as I remembered the time I had gone to our local Matchmaker. What a disaster.

"I might join a book club," Belle said. "Or maybe sign up to help around the library if I can."

"Mulan, you should join the swim team with me? You have really toned arms," Ariel urged, sitting beside me, and gave one of my arms a tight squeeze. I shook my head.

"I'm not a good swimmer," I say apologetically, and Ariel pretends to sigh.

"Yeah, you should've seen her when she tried to go swimming in her local lake back home! It was hilarious!" Mushu laughed. I glared at him.

"Maybe you could join a book club?" Belle suggested. 

"Maybe. I guess I'll see as the year goes on. How about us three head down to the campus and try and meet people?" I asked. They all nodded, and we left our dorm.