Chapter 9

Eve's POV

I looked at my reflection in the mirror backstage. I was dressed in a flowy coral colored dress with a studded pair of sandals, wavy hair cascading down my back, and somewhat heavy makeup. On the outside, I looked more than ready to be interviewed with the boys, but I wasn't.

My hands shook as I tried to smooth out my dress. Through the mirror I could see Zayn walk through the door behind me. The boys were getting their hair and makeup done. I'd gone first.

"Hey Zayn."

"Hi Eve." Zayn walked closer to me until I was forced to meet his eyes face to face instead of through the mirror.

"What are you doing in here?" I asked quietly. I didn't say it in a mean way, more like a curious way.

"Liam said you told him you were nervous, and I just wanted to see if you were alright."

I forced my lips to curve up into a smile, but it was weak.

Earlier that morning I had been really sick. That plus my nerves was just about as much fun as swimming in lava. I hadn't said much all morning besides when Liam came into my room and asked me how I was doing.

There I was, about to put myself on a pedestal and allow people to judge me and make my life harder. Of course I wasn't excited for the interview. The worst I'd gone through so far was having paparazzi in my face. But Danielle and Eleanor told me how bad it could get sometimes. They received death threats all the time just for being Liam and Louis' girlfriends. Imagine being pregnant.

"Well obviously you're not alright." Zayn said when I didn't reply to his last statement. I averted my gaze to my shoes.

"Do you at least know what you're going to say?" He asked me. I felt his eyes begging to meet mine.

"The truth." I shrugged.

Zayn chuckled. "Well that's a start."

"I'm just going to say that I'm just a normal girl who happens to have a famous cousin. And I happen to be pregnant and I'm trying to deal with then consequences of my actions." I kept staring at my shoes as I spoke. I could faintly see Zayn at the corner of my eye smiling.

"I'm proud of you. And so are the lads. Especially Liam. And just think, once it's over, you're done." Zayn lifted my chin with his soft hand. My eyes met his honey colored ones. I tried not to melt right there.

"You know what would make this situation better?" I bit my lip hopefully.

"What?" Zayn mused.

"Ice cream." I smiled.

Zayn chucked at me, making his eyes crinkle a little bit. He was too cute. "Tell you what. As soon as we get home, the two of us can sneak out and get a few tubs of ice cream from the store, and then have a movie night ice cream extravaganza for Eve and Zayn only."

I couldn't hold back my grin as he said movie night ice cream extravaganza for Eve and Zayn only. He sounded so childish and I loved it.

"Deal." I grinned at him genuinely.

***

Half way through the interview, the host whose name was something like Nicole started to ask about me.

I was waiting backstage, and was told I'd be called onto the stage.

"So Zayn, you were recently spotted out to breakfast with a mystery girl. Care to explain?" Nicole winked to the audience.

The crowd cheered a little bit but died down as Zayn started to speak. "Uh yeah she's just a really good friend of mine." My heart sank a little bit, because I did actually like him. Hormones or not, he was absolutely perfect.