Chapter 51

Zayn's POV

"Ready when you are, Zayn." The soundboard guy's voice carried through the microphone to the studio. I gave him a thumbs up through the glass and waited for the instruments to start playing.

"You have my heart, I've got the lock, you've got my key." I sang with my eyes squeezed shut. I imagined Eve's smile, her eyes, Aiden. It seemed to take me to another place.

"You're the whole reason why my dreams have gotten sweet.

I need you here, and I need your love,

I need your key so I can have your heart too.

I need you safe, and I have my reasons,

I'll be with you through everything you go through.

Oooh, You have my key, I have the lock.

The way I see it, love can't wear off.

Love can't wear off. Especially with a lock."

I took a deep breath before moving onto the next verse. The words came with ease as I thought about the love of my life.

"Now I have your heart, you've got the lock, I've got your key,

Our world is spinning; we never thought we could be so complete.

I need you here, and I need your love,

You say you can't believe how our love just grew.

You have to stay, but I need my freedom,

You stick with me through every dream I pursue.

Oooh,You have my key, I have the lock.

The way I see it, love can't wear off.

Love can't wear off. Especially when it's locked" I held out the last note before realizing that Niall and I finished the song on a sad note. I almost didn't want to sing it knowing this song was about Eve.

"Maybe you're tired of being apart, being apart.

And now you're too tired of seeing me everywhere,

Having no part in my life anymore,

Now I'm stuck at your door,

With the key to your heart,

What's that even good for?

What's that even good for anymore?"

As soon as I ended the song, I took a breath and shook my head, feeling beads of sweat on my upper lip. The soundboard guy pressed the button to make it so I could hear him to say, "Brilliant, mate. You can come out so we can play it back. And you've got a few visitors waiting."

Once I heard the word 'visitors', I practically ripped my headphones off and scrambled out of the recording booth to see Eve holding Aiden in her arms with a smile on her face.

"Hey." She breathed.

"Hey." I replied in the same tone.

I seemed to be out of breath for some odd reason. I wasn't quite sure why. It was probably the fact that even through flyaway hairs framed Eve's face, and there were at least three stains on her top, she still looked at me with love. That was all I needed.

"I liked your song." Eve told me casually, handing the baby over to me so I could hold him. He looked sick in the jumper Harry picked out a while before Aiden was even born.

"You heard it?" I winced.

She nodded with a warm smile. "Niall said you two wrote it on tour."

"I kind of wanted it to a surprise, but yeah." I rocked Aiden around a bit and looked down at his innocent face.