Chapter 28

Zayn's POV

I waited for what seemed like forever, anticipating Eve's arrival to our hotel room. So when she finally knocked on the door, I jumped up from the bed and raced to open it. I'd spent at least an hour rehearsing what I'd say into the mirror.

"Hey." She breathed with a smile. I mirrored her expression and stepped aside so she could come in.

"Hey." My reply was slightly delayed, but she didn't seem to mind. In fact she acted like I hadn't completely screwed things up with her. "Look I wanted to talk to you."

"About?"

"Uh, you know. What happened earlier." I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly. This was definitely not how I acted in front of the mirror.

"Go for it." She crossed her arms in front of her chest, waiting for me to put my foot in my mouth.

I cleared my throat, the whole speech I'd rehearsed completely erasing from my mind. Great.

"I wanted to apologize for ignoring you this morning, and acting so weird. I just.." I paused, wondering whether or not I wanted to just lay out all of my cards on the table. When I thought about it, I didn't want to. "You're such a lovely girl, and I'm lucky to have someone like you in my life."

Her expression was completely unreadable. She almost looked like she was trying to gather up a response in her head.

"I forgive you." She said simply with a smile.

"You do?" I was so relieved that she wasn't one to hold a grudge.

Eve nodded somewhat solemnly. I wondered how different things would have been if I'd confessed to her that I really did love her. Was she sad?

"You alright?" I asked her as she lowered herself onto the bed carefully. I felt bad that she was so far along that moving was a struggle.

"Yeah, I'm great, he's just kicking a lot. Again." She grumbled. This happened quite often, and it seemed to make Eve uncomfortable.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"You could turn the light off so I can get some sleep." Eve closed her eyes and rested her hands on her bump. A position I was used to seeing.

I flicked the light off obediently. "Anything else?"

"No." She breathed sleepily. "Thank you."

"You're welcome babe." I replied quietly stroked her soft hair. "Sweet dreams."

*****

"So she forgave you?" Louis asked me through the phone. I could tell he was surprised by the tone in his voice.

"Yeah, I can't believe it either." I sighed knowingly.

"When are you going to grow some balls and tell her?" He asked seriously.

"I don't know Lou. I really don't."

"Maybe you should have a chat with Liam. He knows her best." Louis suggested.

"Yeah," I trailed off, looking at Eve who was dead asleep, "Except as soon as I tell him he'll castrate me."

I could tell Louis was trying really hard not to laugh. "Erm, well, she's an adult now. He can't control her."

"But that doesn't mean he isn't still protective." I replied. "Look, I have time to tell her. It'll happen."

"What if she meets someone else?"

I took in a breath. "Then it wasn't meant to be."

Eve's POV

The next day the boys had rehearsals pretty much all day. I figured Lou and Caroline were busy working so I decided I'd hang out with Greg until the concert.