Chapter 53

Eve's POV

Zayn and I arrived at the hospital, still bickering over Aiden's cries. I had called the doctor while we were in the car and asked if he could see Aiden on short notice. Luckily, he could.

I signed Aiden in with shaking hands while Zayn held him in the waiting room. It was quite embarrassing to get looks from older mothers who knew what they were doing.

The nurse at the desk was a middle aged woman in blue scrubs, straining her neck so she could get a look at Aiden and his daddy.

"Has he got a fever?" She frowned.

I nodded. "His skin's all red as well. When I took his temperature it was high enough to call the doctor."

"Poor thing." The look on her face was genuine and worrisome. "A nurse will come for you shortly, but have a seat for now."

"Thank you." I forced a tight smile onto my face and turned around, padding across the floor. Zayn had sat down with the baby while still trying to calm him down. The crying had been going on for so long that I had almost become immune to it. I couldn't hear it so much anymore.

It felt weird to not be on great terms with Zayn, especially since he really didn't do anything wrong. We were both so new at this. I wanted to tell him I was sorry for acting the way that I did, but before I could even say anything, a nurse had come for us.

"Aiden?" She searched around the room and smiled sadly when Zayn and I stood up. She glanced at her clipboard and led us down a hallway to a small room.

The whole thing reminded me of when I was pregnant.

"Okay, I'm just going to take his temperature and the doctor will be right with you." The nurse informed us. Zayn continued to hold Aiden and set him on a something that was like a changing table almost.

As the nurse pulled out a thermometer and started to take his temperature, Aiden screamed even louder. His face looked genuinely scared and upset.

I stood back and looked on as Zayn tried to keep him calm, whispering things like 'You're okay, Daddy's here.'

I bit my lip anxiously, trying to will the nurse to hurry up and leave my poor miserable child alone. It must have worked, because she pulled the thermometer out and looked at his temperature.

"Okay, he's about the same temperature he was when you called." She informed us.

"What does that mean?" Zayn asked.

"He's going to need some medicine. He can't have the normal stuff that most would take since he's so small. The doctor will be in soon." With that, the nurse disappeared into the hall, leaving the three of us in the small room.

Zayn continued to try to get Aiden to calm down, and I put my head in my hands, sighing deeply.

"I don't think he's going to stop crying if he hasn't already." I groaned to Zayn. He looked over at me and sighed, not even bothering to reply.

I knew he was tired and as worried as I was.

A few moments went by before Zayn finally spoke. "I know you're worried and all, but there's no reason to bicker and fight. It won't make Aiden better, and it puts more pressure on the both of us. So just stop. You're taking your anger out on me for no reason."

"It's not anger, Zayn!" I stressed. "It's fear. I'm afraid for my child. He's just a baby and he's got to deal with being sick already. I'm sorry if I'm not exactly thinking straight and that I'm picking a fight with you, but I'm his mum. I have every right to be scared when my baby is at the doctor with a fever."