Ch.11 Close Friends

--Caroline pictured above--

"Genevieve, this is my mother Caroline. Caroline this is Genevieve Van Acker, a very close friend." I shook the tall woman's hand, though I was confused as to why he introduced me as his 'close friend'. His face revealed nothing but I'm sure he felt my confusion through our mate bond. He gave me a quick glance, a small smile on his face before he looked back to his mother.

"Where is Julian?" Remy asked his mother after placing a chaste kiss on her cheek.

"The Bakery, MJ wasn't feeling to good this morning so we stayed home." Caroline replied, pushing her blonde hair behind her ear. The worry on her face was not be unseen.

"I'll go check on her. Is Lily upstairs with her?"

Caroline gave a small nod, before voicing out a 'yes'.

"I'll be back in just a sec, OK?" I fought against a grin as Remy looked at me with big puppy eyes, like he was asking for my permission.

"Sure, I'll stay down here with you if that's OK?" I said, directing the last part at Caroline, who simply smiled. Remy nodded and then made his way up the wooden stairs. The house, as far as I could tell was designed in a modern Victorian style.

I turned back to his mother giving her a small smile. Caroline wasn't old at all, probably around forty or her late thirties. That had me questing Remy's age. What if I was older than him? Even so, he couldn't' be much younger than me.

"And off he goes." She chuckled. " Oh, I'm sorry can I offer you anything to drink coffee, tea, maybe something to eat? I still have some blueberry muffins from this morning." She offered, as she led me into her surprisingly large kitchen.

"I could use a cup of coffee, thank you." I took a seat at the kitchen bar, while she pored steaming coffee into a black mug for me.

"Sugar, milk or cream perhaps?" She asked, pouring herself a cup of coffee.

"This will do." The room fell silent after that, neither of us bringing up some type of conversation. Though the silence was gone after seconds when the phone began to ring. Caroline jumped out of her seat and walked over to the other side of the room, to answer the phone.

It didn't feel right just sitting there and basically eavesdropping on her conversation. The way she was talking quiet with her back turned to me, was enough to know that it was definitely a private conversation.

I stood up and made my way towards the wooden stairs Remy had gone up. I could faintly hear laughing coming from the second floor. I was unsure of what I should do. It would be rude if I just started wondering around their house on my own. I didn't have to ponder long when a pair of loud footsteps were heard as the laughing continued.

My heart was pounding in my chest. I was excited to meet the most important person in his life, Mary Jane. My smile got bigger when I heard a loud giggle. The laughing got louder as they came into view. My heart dropped to my stomach at the sight.

It wasn't the sweet little girl in Remy's arms or the way she looked so fragile up close, despite the huge smile on her heart shaped face. It was the other girl or should I say woman on his back. Her arms wrapped around his neck, her long legs around his waist. I hope that's his other sister he forgot to mention, I thought to myself.

I didn't want to be the jealous girlfriend who was always suspicious of everything her boyfriend did. Was I even his girlfriend? Being someones mate was definitely more than being someones girlfriend. I didn't mind if we took the whole dating thing slow. It was new territory for both of us. Yet in the back of my mind I knew it would be a challenge for us.