Chapter 4. Shift

x Rosie x

I hear my phone buzz multiple times in my half sleep stage. Ugh, what's so important that my phone has to keep messaging or sending me notifications. I'm trying to sleep. I roll over and blink to try and focus my vision. I'm lucky Alpha Gray had a spare charger for my phone or I wouldn't have been able to charge my phone.

What's so important at 8 am. I should get up anyways but I'm not ready. Most are app notifications. There is one text. I open it and it reads:

Can I come visit you on Sept 4?

I do not know the number that its sent from. Darn phone buzzing, waking me when I could have gone back to bed. I will message the person back later. If I don't forget.

I'm glad I got that rest yesterday. It helped me be focused for dinner and see where Luca's room is. Which isn't too far from mine. Alpha Gray told me over dinner with just Luca and myself, that Luca is close to shifting. I didn't think he'd be having his first one so soon. But I guess with all the things that have been happening have made it possible.

When it happens, I will do my best to help him but this is something only he can go through. We all did it at one point. But I always thought his parents would be the one to help him through his first change. Thankfully we had an early meal last night and Alpha Gray took us to the mall for a few things.

If only I could roll over and go back to bed. I would very much enjoy that, but I can sense Luca is out playing again. He had a great time yesterday. Playing and laughing. I'm glad he's having fun. Might as well get out of bed and freshen up.

I get out of bed, fold the blankets over the bed again and head into the bathroom. I turn the water on in the shower, let it get warm and put a towel close for me to dry off with. I step into the warm shower letting it easy the last weeks tension from me. Oh, that feels so nice. I wash my hair and body letting myself enjoy this. I can't believe he is my mate. It took forever for my heart to slow down to rest.

He smells so delicious. I turn the water off and step out and dry off. I wrap the towel around my hair as I go to the closet.

My heart drops. I place a hand over my heart as I feel Luca's pain. Fuck. I put on the first tank top and shorts I could grab. I drop the towel on my hair to the ground and run out of the room, following the scent of my nephew. He's in the kitchen laying on the ground. Alpha Gray and beta Nick are standing around him.

"What happened?" I ask going to my knees beside him placing a hand on Lucas forehead. He's heating up badly and shaking.

"He fell over outside while playing. He hasn't stopped shaking since. I think his bodies getting ready for the change." Nick says.

"Its too soon for him to change. He isn't ready." I say scared for him. It can't be this soon. He hasn't had time to adjust to knowing he will change.

"We have to get him outside for his change. It will happen sooner then we know and don't want to ruin the house." Alpha Gray says in a tone that can't be argued with. Nick picks up Luca carefully and lays him on the porch.

The yard has been cleared. I guess he got everyone to leave for the privacy of Luca. I'm glad. I sit next to Luca, running a hand through his hair.

"Luca I'm right here ok. Don't be scared, you are protected here ok." I say to him trying to let him know he isn't alone. I hope he knows I'm here. He looks up at me and tries to smile through his pain. "I'm right here for you ok. You got this little man ok." I say smiling at him.

He closes his eyes. I can feel his pain as his bones reshape themselves under his skin. I can see the change as well and its hard to watch. I know he can do this but I wish I could take his pain away as his body transforms. I try to give him some strength as his body gets bigger. His hands and feet turn into paws as his nails grow.