Chapter 1. Run

x Rosie x

Why it always feels colder when you're on the run, I have no idea. The snow has already melted but the ground is still frozen. I hold Luca's small hand in mine as we run through the forest. I hope we can make it to his territory before being caught.

Howls erupt every so often in the background. Each time they pierce the early morning, they are closer each time.

In normal circumstances I'd be able to admire the trees around us. Their height, smell and color as the sun rises. I cannot focus on that though as I hear some yips not far off to our left. I lightly tug on his hand to show him to turn with me as we leave the comfort of the trees.

We turn right and I jump over the slight indent in the ground. Luca isn't so fortunate. His foot caught in the depression in the ground and his hand slips out of my grip as he falls. I wince at his slight pain. My heart beats faster as sweat beads my forehead. We can't stay still for long or we will be torn to shreds.

I bend down and feel his ankle. I don't think its broken but it might be sprained. I help him stand. For a boy of 8 he is small for his age, but then again, I'm not exactly an intimidating height at 5 foot 2. I get him onto my back. I glance towards the tree line and the massive grey wolves start to emerge as they snarl. I turn the other way and manage to get a few steps before a pack of various deep colored wolves appear in the clearing.

I had one job. To protect Luca and I couldn't do that. I need to get him to the Alpha we need or his family's blood will have ended. Just like mine almost did before that. The pack in front of us are calm and collected; unlike the wolves behind us that are vicious, blood thirsty and completely lost in their animalistic needs.

Even with my heart racing, my nerves putting me on edge, and needing to continue to run for our lives, I couldn't. I wouldn't make it that far with these two packs. I feel almost comfortable with the calm one. But I'm sure if they were howling and snarling at us right now, I'd still feel comfortable with them because they hadn't been chasing us for the last week.

Luca shivers on my back as he hides his face in my hair. He whimpers slightly. I try to stand to my full height, but its hard with his weight on my back. I walk up to the new pack in front of us. I have no idea who I'm supposed to address. Even if I did, I wouldn't be able to understand them since I'm not a part of their pack I can't hear them in my mind.

I stand tall anyways and clear my throat.

"I need to find Alpha Gray. I need to speak to him immediately. I need your help." I say calmly, yet with as much authority that I could muster.

A wolf I hadn't seen yet, which is surprising since its got to be the biggest one in the pack, steps forward and shifts. He is tall and muscled to high heaven. But he's also scarred. I focus on his face. He doesn't look upset but he doesn't look happy.

"I am the Alpha of this pack. He isn't Alpha he is the Beta. What do you need?" He says sternly. I am in his territory good.

"No, you're not the Alpha. I need Alpha Gray now or we are all in danger. Get him to me now or bring me to him." I say angry that this guy is messing around when we all are in grave danger. I can hear some of the pack whine and fidget in their place.

"Listen here you insignificant trespasser. Who do you think you are to come on my territory and tell me I am not the Alpha?" He growls at me as his claws come out.

"Because you're not the Alpha to this territory and I can sense it. You are merely the Beta if that. If I am correct. I shouldn't have to keep asking for the Alpha. Do you want to waste precious time debating semantics right now?" I counter trying to not growl at him myself. This male hasn't helped my anger but I am in control of it. I have to be so I can protect Luca.

The male is shaking violently. I can tell he is just as angry and is trying to keep from shifting in his wolf.

"Calm yourself brother. She has done nothing to warrant your aggression, nor has she claimed anything wrong. You are not the Alpha and you shouldn't be pretending to either." A soothing male voice says behind me. I shiver. His voice is soft, sweet and yet it holds authority. It touched me in a way I have never felt before.'

I turn around and see him. He is tall. Taller than his brother. They look nothing alike though. The man in front of me is easily 6 foot 4, a light tan and scarred as well. But this man has light brown, almost blonde hair, with energetic piercing green eyes. I blink trying to compose myself.

The brother shifted and walked away. Growling with discontent.

"Please excuse him Miss. He was adopted as a young child by my family. He likes to pretend when I'm not around. I am Alpha Graham Ashe." He introduces himself as if there aren't angry wolves approaching.

I shiver slightly. Now that I listen better, I don't hear the snarling, monstrous wolves anymore.

"I'm Rosie Flame. This is my Nephew, Luca Holloway. Can we please talk some where safer?" I ask him scared of getting attacked again in such an open area.

"Well Rosie we could but I promise those beasts that were chasing you here have been dealt with. I do believe that we should talk privately. I am truly sorry for my brothers actions and dont think less of my pack. He doesn't want anything to happen to me. But I can imagine you understand that feeling quite well." He says motioning to my nephew who I haven't put down.

"Yes, I do Alpha. Please lead the way. I'd like to tell you why I've rushed here so fast." I say blunt. He smiles with a slight nod as he leads the way.

I rub a hand along Lucas leg to comfort him. I don't like that he's been even more terrified then I have the last week. I will do everything I can to protect him.

A/N

I had this in a dream and it inspired me to start this story. I hope you all enjoy it. I do encourage you to vote/comment/feedback.

ea44fb4b34735dcd9d0a317ad44007caI'm serializing this work on Webnovel. Head over to Webnovel for the other chapter updates! https://www.webnovel.com