Chapter 28 (Final Chapter)

Song of the Moment: Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve

************************************

Come to the DeClary Mansion. The words rolled around in my head that night. Sistine held Sara in a familiar place-dark but familiar.

The DeClary mansion was the setting of an old tale, an old tale that was nonfiction. The tale was about Peter DeClary, the town recluse and two sisters who were entrapped there for two years. Peter DeClary was an heir to a massive fortune. The entire village was suspicious of the young, handsome man that got all this money after his parents and two older brothers died mysteriously after an "accident" in the frozen Lake Manos just outside the village. Because of the multiple attempts on his life, he faked his death and hid in his huge mansion on the edge of town. No one could ever secure the fortune.

One day, Anna and Serena Howard-daughters of a local merchant-ventured into the mansion. Anna wanted to find the supposedly dead heir while Serena wanted to find the garden with the magnificent fountain. He found them and kept them captive for two years. Eventually, he had a child with one of them. The mother and the child lived in the mansion until they died. The child, Hunter St. Claire, was assaulted and killed by a village mob who only saw him as Satan's spawn since it was speculated that his parents practiced dark magic to stay youthful-a trait that was thanks to a curse bestowed on the DeClary family. The mansion itself was used for many things: murders, rituals, and dark acts. Sistine was going to use it as a prison and bargaining place.

"So what do we do now? Go to this mansion?" Darwin asked as we headed to Lucian's office. He couldn't possibly be gone yet despite what Johnny said. It was the grand reopening of his club.

"It's clear across the country." I told the group. "We need portal magic."

"If Lucian's going back to Alexri then he's using a portal to get there. He can send us to the DeClary place." Johnny explained. Darwin, Chloe, and Wilson followed us loyally. We burst into the office. Lucian was nowhere to be found.

"Shit. Did anyone see him anywhere in the club? He can't have already left." I didn't want to call up the queen, but I was going to have to. Everyone said no.

"Fine." I turned to my brother. "We need to contact the queen. She has access to portal magic."

"How do we do it? Last time, she came to you, only to you." Johnny was mad about being left out of the loop, but honestly, did he really deserve to be included? Just saying.

"Well, we can try screaming at her." Wilson suggested. We all just looked at him. "Just a suggestion." I sighed.

"Your Majesty," I began. "Queen Arebella, we need your help once more." It couldn't be that simple, and yet, it was. The woman herself appeared sitting on Lucian's desk.

"I see my dear brother-in-law has already hit the road." She joked in elegance. This was a different woman from the day before. Queen Arebella was truly a magnificent woman. Her dark brown hair was silk and shine as it fell in waves around her shoulders. Her bright red lips looked almost painful to the touch. And she was only wearing a black trench coat and black heels.

"He must hate you a lot." Johnny was the first to speak.

"We've had our differences in the past." She tossed the thought away like it was nothing. "He still thinks my husband deserves better than me. Honestly, I think quite the opposite."

"We need your help getting to Sistine. She's keeping Sara at the DeClary mansion. Do you know where that is?" I asked. She scoffed at me.

"Of course I know where it is. I was responsible for the Declarys' curse." She beamed with pride.