Chapter 3

Song of the Moment: Vegas Lights by Panic! At The Disco (Because P!ATD is the fucking bomb)

******************** (the rest of the book is eleven years later unless I put in flashbacks for those who don't understand)

Sara Damen woke up with, once again, clammy hands and a sweaty face. The nightmares still haunted her after all those years. They never stopped, the monster always trying to kill her. The hallway that led to the scene of her sister's death was long, narrow and dark, elongating every time she tried to run to the far away door. And every time, she would realize the hallway wasn't getting longer and she would turn around to see Tony holding her back. I have to protect you. He would say before the monster yanked him away and lunged at her next. Then she would wake up.

She didn't understand why the nightmare repeated itself; especially in the last year. It was like a warning telling her that the monster was coming closer and closer to finding her. It must be the interview, she told herself.  Her best friend, Chloe, had gone and given her quotes to the interviewer from the stupid cold case blog that kept badgering her. Sara finally gave in but wouldn't let them get a picture of her now. It was only October, but her sister's anniversary was closing in on her like panther, ready to strike her with crazy emotions when the day came. She was stupid to do the interview. Now, the kids at school would think she was weird.

Sara had been trying to keep her cover with her father and Chloe. They were her rocks, steady and understanding. Her father had trouble with finding her but that horrific night eleven years earlier reunited them. She didn't remember her mother. Chloe was her sister stand-in. When Sara was thirteen, Chloe defended her against the other girls who thought she was insane about the monster that killed her sister. After that day, Sara and Chloe became best friends. Sara was the elusive introvert and Chloe was the outrageous extrovert who dragged her best friend to any club that sounded cool. Living outside of Las Vegas had its perks. Well, Chloe thought so.

It was Saturday. Knowing Chloe, she would come pick Sara up and take her to her house to get ready for the new club.  She had found a new one just last week called the Snake Pit that she desperately wanted to check out. Mr. Damen would tell them to be careful (because he would think they were just having a sleepover with friends), and they would be off to have some fun. Sara was hesitant because Chloe had found one of her old dresses and she knew that it was going to be close to being a swimsuit. 

Sara got up and shakily made her way to her adjoining bathroom. She desperately needed a splash of cold water to her face. Her trembling hands reached for the bathroom door and she opened it, the full length mirror on the door faced her bed so that she could see the stuffed dolphin that she placed on a shelf above her bed. It made her feel safe and protected by the memory of the one who was her hero as a kid: Tony.

She clenched her eyes shut and shook her head in embarrassing disappointment in herself before shutting the bathroom door behind her. She stood and stared at herself in the mirror above the tiny sink. He was gone now. Dreamily thinking of him was a definite no-go. For all she knew, he could be dead. Even if she managed to find him, he would be years older than her and give her no chance with him. When Sara realized she had lovesick crush on an old man, her nose wrinkled in disgust and she snatched the nearest towel and screamed into it.