Chapter 6

Song Of The Moment: Let's Go by Stuck In The Sound

**********************************

She slept peacefully; her hair fell in cascades around her shoulders. Her father sat in a chair beside her bed, holding his head in his hands. This was all my fault.

It was easy to find her. I just searched for Sara Damen and Chloe Sanders in the hospital central database to find them. I was careful this time so she wouldn't see me. Night had fallen so I had climbed up the side of the hospital to her third story window. It was an especially dull room but hospital rooms usually were.

"Dad, when can I see Chloe?" Sara asked as she awoke from her slumber, her voice raspy.

"Maybe in a couple of hours. The doctors want you resting." He replied with a tired tone of reluctance.

"I feel fine. Like you said, that stuff has already left my system. Let me go see her." She argued and I saw the stubbornness that I remembered so well.

"What did I say?" He countered and she sat up and sighed in defeat.

"When can I leave?" She asked to change the subject slightly.

"The doctors want to run a few more tests so you should be out by the morning. Chloe's going to stay here until she wakes up which is highly unlikely." She became worried. "But that's what the doctors say. They could be wrong." He tried to inspire some hope.

"I'm not going to school tomorrow. I'm not ready to deal with people yet." She groaned.

"I won't make you." Her father replied. "You can go back in a couple of days."

"Okay." She said weakly. "I'm going back to sleep then." She pulled the blanket up to her neck and turned to face the window. I pulled away out of her sight.

"Alright." He stood up. "Get some sleep, sweetheart." The door opening and closing signaled that he was gone. I sneaked a glance to see her turning to the other side and sprawling her limbs out to get comfortable. Opening the window quietly, I slipped into the room.

It was a dreary night. The moon was out of sight now and darkness hid me from Sara and her lamp's light. I dared not step closer, fearing she might wake any minute. I just had to make sure she was okay. Chloe was still alive, which was good. I planned on drawing the blood out of her when I came but when I got to the hospital, it was already disappearing-which meant she would wake soon and be alright. I found it strange, though. No human had ever recovered that quickly from our blood.

I expected Sara to heal fast. She only received a small amount and she was a Pure Soul. That white light surrounded her like a halo and it reminded me instantly of her innocence. She stirred awake.

I slinked into the far corner of darkness. She sat up and looked around the room. Her eyebrows furrowed.

"I swear," She huffed. "I'm going crazy." She shook her head to herself and started to lay back down. I accidentally exhaled a little too hard and her eyes locked on my corner. "If you're a pervert trying anything, I will beat your ass." She started climbing out of her bed and picked up the hardback book off the bedside table-doing all of this while still staring at my corner.

"Come at me, creep." She demanded and raised the book to hit me.

"Please," She froze at the sound of my voice. "There is no need for violence." The book fell from her hands and she backed away cautiously.

"Tony?" She squeaked out in awe. "I knew it was you!"

"Please quiet down." I asked politely and she did just that. "I shouldn't even be here."