Chapter 24

Song of the Moment: Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na) by My Chemical Romance

***************************************

I snuck out the window the next morning to meet up with Nate at the garage. He was already rolling the kart out with his jumpsuit on. He saw me and brushed his hair out of his eyes.

"Dude, it's after eight thirty. You were supposed to be here at like, seven." I could tell he was on edge and stressed about this race. "Where's your jumpsuit?"

"We have an issue." He stopped the go-kart and looked at me confused.

"What's the issue?" I proceeded to inform him about what happened with Chloe.

"We just won't compete. It's that simple. That and we're going to kick your brother's ass." He started taking the jumpsuit off.

"It's not just Chloe. You'd best believe my brother is competing. He might not have said it out loud, but I know him. Johnny is going to race." I tried explaining with giving away anything. Nate couldn't know about our Sara situation.

"What's that got to do with anything? Shouldn't Chloe be our main concern right now? Your brother was practically raping her and torturing her. This race means nothing. I really don't understand your priorities." He took the jumpsuit off and chucked it into the go-kart. After adjusting the t-shirt and jeans he had on underneath, Nate began walking away from me. I was in front of him in a split second.

"I know Chloe should be our concern, but she's already hurt. We can't fix the past." I put my hand on his shoulder. "What we can do is fix the future."

"Chloe's not the only one." The realization bloomed on his face.

"He's going to use the race to get to Sara. Last night she told me that she was kissing whoever won the race."

"Does she know that he might be competing?" He asked as we both sat down on the ground against the go-kart.

"No, she doesn't. She thinks I am, though." His jaw clenched. Might as well tell him.

"I'm not going to win. We're still going through with the plan." Nate relaxed slightly, but began to stare off. He was nervous. He was in love with her. He should be nervous.

"If Sara wants you to compete then are we just switching places? I race for you and you race for me?"

"We're going to let her know that I'm racing as you." He looked at me in bewilderment.

"How is that going to help?"

"We only have one go-kart. I still have to race as you, but what she won't know is that we're switching back before I get dragged to the podium. She'll have to kiss you. It's perfect." He stared at his shoes.

"I don't know. She's expecting you, not me. If it's you she likes then maybe we shouldn't force it. I don't think it's right to force her to like me." I hated it that he was so pure-hearted.

"She's been in this fantasy where she's in love with me, but I already told her and everyone else. She's like a sister to me. I'm telling you, Nate, that this kiss might change her feelings. You two belong together. I'm literally giving you my blessing to date her. I don't care if she has this crush on me. I'm just trying to give her a chance to date others without comparing them to me. I honestly think she'll fall in love with you as soon as she gets to know the real you." I felt like I helped him out a little bit.

"I'll do the race," He turned to me, "but not because I like her. Johnny can't do to Sara what he did to Chloe."

"Alright then. Go ahead and load the go-kart up on the trailer. I need to do my part of the plan." I reached into the seat and grabbed his jumpsuit. I handed it to him.