Chapter 25

Song of the Moment: Feel Good Inc by Gorillaz

****************************************************************

I couldn't believe I did it. Well, I kind of did. I had a demon in my mind for crying out loud but still. I beat both Charlie and Johnny. Nate Caster went from zero to hero in just one race.

I was greeted by a crowd running onto the track. Some of the kids I recognized from the music club-some of Nate's other friends. I ripped my restraints off and jumped up from the go-kart. I scanned the crowd. There was a perfect path straight to the locker rooms. I began to run but was engulfed by fans. A couple of guys from school picked me up and carried me to the winner's stage.

"CASTER! CASTER!" The crowd chanted. I tried to worm out of their grip but was pushed up on the stage. Sara was there on stage with the Golden Nevada trophy in her hands. She looked a little shocked but kept smiling. The race announcer came on stage with a microphone in his hand.

"Nate Caster." The portly man in blue jeans and a light blue buttoned-up shirt came over and shook my hand. "It's so nice to meet you, bud."

He turned to the crowd and raised the microphone to his lips. "Who's ready for prizes?" The crowd roared in response.

"Alrighty, Miss Damen, you can come on up." She stepped up closer to the center of the stage where I was.

"Here is your trophy for winning our annual go-kart race." She handed it to me. I stood there awkwardly with the bulking thing in my arms.

"And now for the victor's kiss." Shit. Shit. Shit. I waved my hands and shook my head. I didn't need a kiss. I was good with the trophy.

"Come on, Caster!" The announcer yelled, "Take the helmet off!"

"TAKE IT OFF! TAKE IT OFF!" The crowd chanted. Sara stepping closer to me and ripped my helmet off. My sweaty hair stuck to my forehead. The crowd went silent for a moment and began to murmur.

"I knew it." Sara affirmed. I looked out into the crowd and saw Nate standing in the back with a helmet in his hand. His face fell, his disappointment and betrayal clear in his expression. I felt horrible.

"I guess our real winner is Sam Denver." The announcer stated with bewilderment in his voice.

"This was going to happen one way or another." She whispered. And with that, she reached up, tangled her hands in my wet hair, and kissed me.

It was nice. She felt nice. Something felt off, though. I didn't know if it was my nerves or the fact that I just betrayed Nate. I was just confused and worried about the consequences. I didn't mind kissing her. She was sweet and tasted of watermelon gum. There were just more important things than kissing her. Oh God, Nate was probably still standing there, watching me kiss her.

I broke away from the victory kiss and immediately began scanning the crowd for Nate again. He was gone, most likely furious at me. I wouldn't blame him. I would hate me too.

The crowd cheered and then Johnny and Charlie come up on stage. Johnny was smiling, but I saw the rage in his eyes. He was going to get me later. I just knew it. Charlie came between Sara and me to put an arm around my neck. The announcer put the microphone in front of him.

"I just wanted to say congrats to Sam Denver here for winning the race." He made eye contact with me-uncomfortable eye contact. "I bet Caster is glad you took his place. You got balls, man." The crowd laughed.

"To everyone out here, party at my house!" He took his arm off of me and pumped a fist in the air. All the high school kids erupted with excitement. I tried to escape off the stage, but Johnny and Charlie grabbed my arms. Charlie then took the trophy out of my hands and handed it back to the announcer.