Chapter 9

Song of the moment: Figure It Out by Royal Blood

************************************

We left Wilson with Dan when we headed out for our hunt. Johnny and I planned to go to a nearby club, set a lure for a snack.

"So," Johnny drawled as he played around with his keychain. "Who are we after tonight?" He scanned the entrance to the Attic Nights club and we both saw the young blood in line.

"I was thinking the blonde with the leather skirt." I suggested and pointed out her skyscraper heels that would be impossible to run in.

"Easy catch," He replied with an impressed tone. "But you know I like some spiciness in my food." He then suggested the bronze goddess at the front of line with perfect chasing clothes on.

"What do you suggest? We take her and let her run a bit before we eat?" Johnny nodded smugly and we decided what to do.

"I'll take the goddess and you can have blondie-sound good?" Johnny offered and I agreed. We came out of our hiding spot in the shadows across the street and waltzed up to the front door. The bouncers couldn't even say anything as I used Noctum to make them let us in. Before we disappeared completely into the club, Johnny snatched the goddess and she smiled at him. Blondie stood gawking at us so I went ahead and grabbed her.

My ears were once again assaulted by punk rock music and this time, there was a live band. It was hard to hear over their obsessive playing.

"You want a drink?" I asked-practically yelled-over the music. She nodded and squeaked out a yes. We headed over by the bar and I scanned the room the see my brother allowing the bronze goddess demonstrate her dirty dance moves on him.

I ordered a drink for her and picking it up, I cut the tip of finger to let a drop of demon blood splatter and dissolve into it. She didn't even notice as I put my finger to my tongue to instantly heal. I watched her intently as she took a couple of sips. She started slurring and I suggested that she stop drinking and lay down. Before we left, I drank the rest of her drink, the demon blood returning to my body.

I looked for my brother and saw him at the pace that I was at. He had the goddess hanging on him and she appeared just as incapacitated as Blondie. We both headed out to the back alley so we could snack. The goddess realized what was going on and started to fight and buck around to get free from Johnny's grasp but it was no use. A human like her had no chance against a half-demon like my brother.

I pinned Blondie against the brick wall of the building beside Attic Nights and I felt Noctum arising to claim his meal. I felt my eyes roll back and my demon form warping into view. The girl screamed, the scream was drowned out by a buzzing that came with a bright white light. Blondie and the alleyway was gone and I was in a pristine, white office. My body returned to normal, and I looked around for Johnny, but he was nowhere to be seen.

"Glad you could make it, big brother." My eyes darted to the big white chair where the voice came from. The chair turned and Sistine sat there in all her ghostly glory. That's when I recognized the office.

"We're back where it all started." I inferred, and she just grinned at me. Our dark hair were the only objects that stood out in the painfully white room.

"Dad always had an obsession with purity." She stared softly and twirled a lock of her jet black hair around her finger. Her white dress remained spotless as I stared waiting for the black muck to drip from her mouth and stain that pure color but it didn't happen.