[ 17 ]

Jennie

Today is Sunday. We had done our morning walk but Lisa will be going back here in my house in a little while to pick me up. My mom had brought up this orphanage in the nearby city which is accepting volunteers and Lisa was really eager to go. Lisa ask to go with her which my family voted with her and so here we are.

Lisa is really great. She has a golden heart.

"Good Morning Jennie." Lisa greeted me which startled me.

"How did you get inside?" I asked.

"Your mom open your door for me." she said and she chuckles.

"Oh. I did not notice." I said.

"Are you ready? Should we go?" she asked.

I smile at her and agreed.

______________

It was already afternoon. We spend the whole day in the orphanage and it was great and fun. The children are lovely. Though, there is a young girl that caught my attention. She looks sad and alone. Her name is Somi. One of the worker told us that Somi was physically abused by her dad and her mom is already dead which is why she is staying here in the orphanage for almost a month already.

The police came into their house because there was a lead that they kept illegal drugs inside. They indeed found a lot but they also found Somi in one of the room lying in floor with bruises all over her body. They haven't caught her father since her is gone when they ambushed the house.

______________

A week after our first visit, we came back with presents. The children loves it and us.

I saw Somi at the corner of the room looking at things we brought. So, I approached her while holding a doll as she looks at it.

I bent down on her level as I lift up the doll in front of her. She steps back a bit with scared look at her face.

"I won't hurt you. I just want to give you this doll." I said.

She looks at me as if she is trying to read my mind. I smile at her as I wait for her to grab it.

When she finally got the doll from my hand, I smile widely.

"Thank you" she utter softly.

"Welcome" I replied.

______________

Lisa and I continues our scheduled morning walk in which she always join us in breakfast. We decided to visit the orphanage every Sunday after breakfast. It became our routine which made us become even more closer.

My family loves her. They knew Lisa is a good influence being with me. My parents even gave us some presents we can bring to the orphanage.

About Somi, she finally warms up to us. She is now talking a bit more.

I'm really worried about her since she told me one time that her dad will came back and hurt her again. Lisa calms me down by saying she is going to be safe here in the orphanage and she had us, me and Lisa, to protect her. And, I do believe her. The workers are good people who surely will protect her and we will do too.

_____________________________________