Chapter Eleven

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." 

- Martin Luther King Jr.

***

Chapter Eleven: 

"Whatcha doin'?" Parker asked Nola as he came into the living room. He'd just gotten out of a shower and was half expecting her not to be in the living room, let alone in the home, when he got out. Yet, upon entering he saw she was sitting on the couch, television off and looking bored out of her mind.

 The sound of his voice made Nola snap out of her thoughts and look up. "I-I ... nothing, I was doing nothing." Nola, who had previously been thinking about Mitch and how he would be when he came here tomorrow, left her thoughts in the back of her mind as she focused on her current situation.

 Parker walked over to the couch and sat down, opposite to her. He sighed and reclined back, "I'm sorry, there is not a lot to do around here other than watch T.V." His eyes shifted around the room, thinking of something they could do to pass some time. "I've Monopoly, if you want to play that."

Nola shrugged her shoulders but then was reminded a woman must always verbally answer, "We can do whatever you want to do." She stated, feeling like that was a Mitch worthy response.

 Her reply irked Parker, he wanted to do something that she wanted to do - not caring about what would please him. Grabbing his phone, that was on the small end table by the couch, Parker looked at the time. It was rounding five o'clock, meaning he should include dinner in whatever plans they make. "Well, we can go to the movies, ice skating rink, rollerblading, go cart racing - what?" Parker stopped suggesting things when he looked over and saw the pure befuddlement that was etched out on Nola's face. "What's with that expression?" He questioned.

 Nola blinked a few times, unsure if she should just come out and say it.

 "Be honest and speak your mind, Nola B.," Parker proclaimed, "It's my one and only rule, need I remind you..."

 Sighing, Nola nodded for she knew the rules but that didn't stop her hesitation. "I know it is one of your rules for me to speak honestly ... but, it is just that ... well, Mitch ... he never let me pick what we were to do. He never suggested things for us to do ... we always stayed at home." Nola gave a dry chuckle, "and I mean always," she stated the last part in a low, bitter, tone.

 Parker, hearing every word she just said gave a deep frown, "I'm not Mitch."

 Nola locked eyes with Parker. She noticed his brown eyes were reflecting nothing but pure pity. Nola looked away, unable to hold his heavy stare. Fiddling with the hem of the shirt she'd borrowed from him in nervousness, Nola gave a single nod of her head. "I know that..."

 "So tell me, Nola B., what do you want to do - honestly?"

 Thinking about it for a second, Nola figured this was going to be her last night to be free and do what she wants. While she knew Mitch was coming and was on borrowed time, she also knew that as of that instant she had her pick of what to do. On the inside, that excited Nola because for once in a very long time was given a small window of freedom.

 "Rollerblading sounds nice ... But, if you don't want to we can do something else," Nola quickly stated.

 Parker rolled his eyes at her, "I haven't gone rollerblading in years. Sounds good to me, if that is really what you want to do."