Chapter Fourteen

Unedited...

"The human race tends to remember the abuses to which it has been subjected rather than the endearments. What's left of kisses? Wounds, however, leave scars."
― Bertolt Brecht

Chapter Fourteen:

"And that's why you hit her, isn't it?" Douglas, a cop that was interrogating Parker, questioned. The officer leaned over the table and locked eyes with Parker. "You hit her because she didn't do something right in your eyes." Douglas shook his head. "Classic move, Boy."

"I didn't-"

"Mean to do it?" Douglas interrupted, hoping to bait Parker into showing his angry side. Douglas, a cop of twelve years, had seen and heard it all. He had been around abusers, his whole career, that act innocent. However, Douglas knew that once you push them to the edge, they explode and show their violent side.

Parker placed his head in his hands and sighed. For the past hour, the cop had drilled him on a variety of questions concerning Nola and how she came about her injuries. It wasn't till recently Douglas began picking into Parker's character and twisting everything to make it sound like he was the one that abused Nola.

The amount of frustration building up in Parker was reaching the point of explosion because Douglas was not letting him get a word in. Parker wanted to explain his side but every time he opened his mouth he was cut off. However, he knew he couldn't yell or lash out.

Keeping eye contact Parker shook his head, "I didn't hurt Nola." He exhaled, relieved that he was finally able to say that without getting interrupted. A small weight lifted off his chest for the truth was out there.

Douglas laughed, "Well, explain the bruises, broken bones, and previous signs of abuse."

"It wasn't-"

"You," Douglas finished with a roll of his eyes. "That is what they all say. It's either wasn't you or she did it to herself." Rubbing his stubbly chin, Douglas analyzed Parker. Usually, he would study Parker's body language when he paused to collect more questions. Yet, this time, he looked in Parker's eyes.

There was an emotion and need in Parker's eyes that Douglas had never seen a man that came in the interrogation room for a charge of abuse. Normally the suspects eyes would be glossy and hold an evil twinkle. The look always sent Douglas up a wall for he knew that it was the abusers way of saying: I know what I did, and I am going to get away with it - only to do it again.

But, in Parker's eyes, Douglas swore he saw innocence and a need for someone to believe him. This took Douglas back in surprise. "You've one minute."

Parker blinked, "One minute?"

"To speak."

It took Parker a prolonged second to register what Douglas said. When he realized the cop was giving him a chance to clear his name, Parker began to talk. "I didn't do it. Her ex-boyfriend did. His name is Mitch - I've no idea what his last name is. I've suspected she was getting abused for a while because, at school, she showed all the signs. I've talked to the people at our school, hoping they would reach out to her and find out what was going on. That went nowhere. I've even called the cops. Yet, y'all did jack shit. So, it wasn't until the other day that I ... confronted Nola and offered her a safe place to stay - my home.

"She accepted my offer and has been staying with me. The only reason the hospital thinks I am romantically linked to her is because I know only family is allowed to see her and hear straight from the doctor what is wrong. I posed at her fiance to get information and stay by her side." Parker wanted to smile from ear to ear; he had told it all - finally.