Chapter Sixty-Nine

Unedited

***

***

Chapter Sixty-Nine:

"No, you do not have to wear a dress," Parker informed her with a smile. He wanted Nola to be as comfortable as she could be. It was a big deal to him that she even agreed, for all he cared she could wear jeans and t-shirt to the restaurant. "Wear whatever you feel comfortable in," He told her honestly.

Nola was grateful, knowing that she did not particularly enjoy wearing dresses, they made her feel exposed. "When do we leave?" She questioned, trying to figure out how much time she had to get ready — not that she needed a lot of time.

"Our reservation is for five-thirty." He glanced quickly at the clock on the wall. "So, you've about an hour before we need to leave."

To Nola that was plenty of time, "Okay." She began to head towards the bedroom when Parker's voice stopped her.

"Wait!" he called out, realizing that he had just placed his surprise for her in his room. "You can't go in my room." He took a few steps in her direction but stopped just before he reached her.

Nola paused right in front of his bedroom door, "but, my clothes are in there."

Parker realized then that he did not plan this all as well as he thought.

Suddenly, Nola heard a small muffled sound. "What was that?" She asked, grabbing his doorknob.

Right before she could twist the knob, Parker halted her actions once more. "Wait!" Parker raced over to the door. He maneuvered his body in between the door and Nola.

Nola dropped her hand from the knob and stepped back. She wondered if she had been testing the waters too much. However, as soon as she saw the boyish grin on Parker's face, Nola reminded herself that she was in no trouble.

"I wanted to give you this surprise later tonight, after everything." His eyes pleaded with her to just wait until the end of the night.

Nola arched an eyebrow. "Where do you expect me to get ready then?"

He really did not have everything planned.

"Tell me what you want to wear. I can bring it out and you can change in the bathroom." Parker suggested, happy to find a resolve. "My mother bought some makeup for you while you were in the hospital." Parker began to rant as he felt like his surprise was seconds from being exposed. "You should have seen her come in and try different shades of makeup on you, while you were in a coma. She wanted everything to be just right for when you got out. It's on the counter," Parker nodded his head in the direction of the bathroom. "Just tell me what you need and I'll bring it to you."

Nola fought back the urge to roll her eyes at Parker. "I can't remember all my clothes that are here. Your mother has bought me so much. I need to go into the closet." She realized then that she shouldn't be pushy. ". . . You know what? Just grab whatever you think will look best."