Chapter Fifty-Three

Unedited 

***

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."
—Doctor Who

****

Chapter Fifty-Three:

When Parker returned Nola's parents were nowhere to be found, which was per usual seeing as they typically only stayed for a little bit before leaving. Parker strolled over to his chair and sat down. His eyes flickered over to the hydrangeas Hannah left the day before. He smiled and looked over at Nola, "I think you should befriend Hannah when you wake up," Parker spoke, back forward slightly. "She seems like a really nice girl that would be a great friend for you."

After a minute, Parker sighed at the silence before running his hand through his hair.

"Oh, dear, please tell me Dr. Pushner did not ruin your good mood," Nurse Heather said once she walked in and saw Parker sitting down with a solemn look on his face. "I would have thought you'd consider the test results as a big step in figure out what is wrong with Ms. B."

Parker looked over at Nurse Heather to see her standing before Nola's bed with a tray in her hand. He gave a weak smile that didn't reach his eyes, "Dr. Pushner did not ruin my mood and I do think it is great that we know something ... but it's not the answer."

"You're right, it's not the answer but, maybe, it can help us find one very soon," Nurse Heather stated. She glanced down at the tray in her hands before looking back up at Parker. "I brought you some food."

"I ate earlier, thank you."

"That was earlier, this is now." Walking over to a counter that was just a few feet from Parker, Heather sat the tray down. She hoped the smell of the food would make its way over to Parker and he would feel compelled to eat. "Your mother informed me, the other day, of your weakness for grape juice. I made sure to order you a few extra juice packs."

Parker's eyes zeroed in on the juice packs that were on the tray, surrounding a covered plate.

"It's a grilled chicken wrap, with a side salad, and baked potato chips. It's the best the hospital has to offer," she stepped away from the counter and walked over to Nola's monitors. Nurse Heather pressed a button on one of the machines and began to take Nola's blood pressure after jotting down Nola's current vitals.

Parker's cell phone began to ring, grabbing his attention. Digging in his front pocket of his jeans, Parker pulled out his phone to see that it was Remus calling him. Getting up, Parker decided to take the call outside the room.

Exiting, Parker answered the call, "Hello?"

"Hey, I was just calling to see what time you are coming by to get the contracts."

Parker closed his eyes for a second, frustrated with himself for forgetting about how he had to pick up the contracts from Remus. "What time works best for you?" Parker asked as he began to make his way to the smoking area.

"I will be here all day and most of the evening, so the time does not matter on my end. I can run them up to you at the hospital if that would be easier for you."

"No, nonsense, it's my responsibility and job. Ummm .... I have dinner plans with my parents later tonight. How about I swing by and pick them up around six? Or, is that too late? I can come by-"

"No, that works out perfectly. I'll see you then."

***

Douglas looked across the table at his daughter, who was mindlessly rolling a pea around her plate with her fork. His gaze didn't waver as he studied her intently. He tried to find the answers to all of his questions, without asking her. However, he came up short and knew that answers would only be obtained by asking. "You okay, Sweetie? You seem out of it tonight."