Chapter Seventy-One

Unedited

***

***

Chapter Seventy-One:

"Rise and shine, B.," Parker hovered in the doorway of his room. His eyes were focused on his bed, waiting to see if his words woke Nola up from her slumber.

Nola stirred in bed as she gradually began to wake up. Her eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the light which poured in from a window. After a moment, Nola was able to comfortably look around; she came insights with Parker. The corner of her lips twitched up into a smile. "Good morning," Said Nola as she sat up, satisfied with her nights sleep.

Parker saw the monstrosity of Nola's hair, which was sticking up in all different directions. "Nice bed head," humor evident in his features.

Reaching up, Nola felt the rat's nest with a sigh, not truly caring what Parker thought. He had seen her in what Nola consider to be her worst. "It's the new fashion," she stated in an obvious tone.

"I'm sure it is," Parker replied just when Nola's puppy came rushing into the room.

"Oh, come here, Baby," Nola called out as she leaned over on one side of the bed and beckoned her dog over. The puppy gleefully came running over to Nola, who did not waste a second in scooping up her up.

"I let her out an hour ago," Parker informed Nola, hoping to ease her morning in some capacity. "Also fed her, for you."

"I could have done that." Nola felt guilty that Parker kept doing things for her, especially the things she could do herself.

Parker shrugged as if it was nothing, "You were sleeping so well that I didn't have the heart to wake you." He watched as Nola petted her puppy with a smile that stretched from one ear to the next. His heart warmed at the fact that Nola was infatuated with the puppy. He, admittedly, had his concerns at first. "Have you thought of a name for her?"

Nola thought about it for a second. A few names came to mind but she had no idea which one to pick. So, Nola settled on shaking her head in response to Parker. "No, not yet but I'm sure it will come to me soon." Nola placed her puppy down on the ground and swung her legs over the bed. She glanced at the alarm clock to see that it was eight-thirty in the morning.

"Breakfast?" Parker's question rolled off his tongue with a grin. "I can whip something up if you're hungry."

Nola was pleased at the idea of getting something in her empty stomach. However, she figured this was a situation she could handle. "How about I make us something?" Nola suggested as she got out of bed and gave a small stretch. Her joints popped and she felt herself waking up more by the simple move.

Parker raised an eyebrow with a taunting smirk, "you can cook?"

Chuckling at his silliness, Nola nodded, "Yeah, I can cook. And, I'm not half that bad." Nola knew for a fact that she was far from a bad cook. Her mother, growing up, had taught Nola well. Plus, in her years with Mitch she has expanded her cooking skills.