Chapter Fifty-Six

Unedited

***

"Sometimes it all gets a little too much"

- Shawn Mendes

***

Chapter Fifty-Six

Parker leaned forward in his chair, limiting the space between him and Nola. Taking a long and steady inhale, Parker gathered his words in his mind. He opened his mouth to speak but quickly pressed his lips into a fine line. Parker closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, feeling a sense of defeat washed over him. All the words he wanted to say to Nola were scrambled and failed to form coherent sentences.

Opening his eyes, Parker stared at Nola for what felt like hours. He watched as she laid in her hospital bed, seemingly just taking a nap. Parker wished that was the case, however, no matter how hard he wished she stayed in her comatose state.

Glancing away, Parker's right foot began tapping on the tile floor, an action that normally signalled anxiety and worry for him but this time Parker knew it was frustration.

Sighing for the millionth time, Parker calmed himself down at the fact that he was getting himself worked up about Nola. He kept reminding himself that there was nothing he could do, it was in the doctor's hands now.

"Hannah just left," Parker muttered under his breath as he leaned back in towards Nola. "I would tell you what she has done to your room," the corner of Parker's lips twitched up into a smile, "but why ruin the surprise?"

Reaching out, Parker grabbed Nola's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. His thoughts were becoming clear. "You know, you could wake up and see what she did for yourself."

A few minutes of silence went by before Parker exhaled loudly. " . . . I talked to my parents the other day over dinner," Parker spoke, hoping on his last string that a new topic would stir something inside Nola and miraculously she would wake up. It was wishful thinking, once more, but Parker was running on empty and, he knew it whether he wanted to truly face the facts or not. "My parents think it will be a good idea that when you wake up and get better, we all take a trip to the family beach house.

"I told them I would talk to you about it and see if you want to go," Parker stared at Nola who remained in her comatose state. "So, could you just wake up for a minute and we talk about it? Afterward, I guess I can let you go back to being in a coma . . . But, I just wanna talk to you and hear your voice."

Seconds melted into minutes and Parker began to feel frustration course through him again. He yanked his hand, which was still holding Nola's, away. A few more minutes past allowing his now untamed frustration to turn into anger. He immediately stood up, causing his chair to scrape back against the tile floor. Parker ignored the loud sound as his hands reached up to his head. He gripped his hair and gave a tug before releasing a deep growl of frustration.

Dropping his hands to his side, Parker started to pace in front of Nola's bed. He was consumed with thought and the more he stayed in the room the more he felt like the walls were closing in on him.

Without a second's notice, Parker stormed out of the room and began his familiar journey to the smoking section. The whole time he walked, Parker battled with himself to let go of what he could not control. However, he was tired of telling himself that, he had said it so many times now that the words were meaningless - leaving him swimming in guilt and frustration.

So consumed by his thoughts, Parker was unaware of his surrounding because he had a one-track mind at the moment. Therefore, when someone called his name, from down the hall, Parker paid no heed as he kept on walking the familiar route to the smoking section.

"Hey, are you deaf?" Douglas asked Parker as he placed a hand on Parker's shoulder in an attempt to gain his attention. Douglas analyzed Parker who had stopped in his tracks and blinked a few times before recognizing Douglas.

"Oh, hey," Parker spoke in a flat tone.

Raising an eyebrow, Mr. Harper realized that something was wrong with Parker. "Everything okay? You seem off your rocker today."

"I'm fine," Parker lied, hoping that Douglas believed him, however, when Parker studied Douglas closely enough he could see that Mr. Harper was not fooled one bit. Sighing, Parker ran a hand through his hair, feeling his facade crumble. "I'm just worried about Nola."

Douglas nodded, "as I assume you would be in your position." A frown formed on Mr. Harper's face, "I'm sorry you're going through this, Parker. If there is anything I can do, let me know."

Parker glanced down the hall quickly to see that they were near the smoking section. "Join me while I take a couple drags if you have a minute."

Looking down at his wristwatch, Mr. Harper calculated how much longer he had until he needed to be back in the office. "I have a few minutes, why not?"