Chapter Eight

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
― Oscar Wilde

***

Chapter Eight:

"I'm walking on sunshine - Whoa - and don't it feel good!" Parker sang as he cracked an egg into the frying pan, smiling as it sizzled. He stood there, over the pan as he started to sway his hips to the beat of the song.

Parker's audience member, that had her head peeked in the doorway, didn't go unnoticed. However, he chose not to acknowledge her presence. Instead, he used the spatula as a microphone and started to dance like a maniac as he sang every line to the song that was playing on his phone by the stove.

When the song was over Parker paused in the direction of the doorway to see Nola was staring at him with humored expression across her face.

The second she jumped back to reality, Nola gave him a blank, emotionless, expression before taking a step back - away from Parker.

Parker smiled and acted as if the way she distanced herself from him didn't bother him at all. "Good morning, Princess Nola B." He stated and then bowed in her direction as if he was really in the presence of royalty.

Nola snuck back around the doorway, hiding from him, all while hoping this was all a dream. If it was a dream, Nola concluded, she needed to wake up soon because Mitch will be mad if he catches her sleeping.

Shugging his shoulder, Parker turned his attention on his burning egg. "Oh fiddlesticks, I over cooked your egg Princess Nola B." Taking the pan off the burner, Parker walked over to the sink and tossed the burnt egg down the garbage disposal. "Oats well, I'll just make you another one," he said loud enough for her to hear. "I hope you like your eggs sunny side up but if you don't speak now or forever hold your peace."

Silence.

"Sunny side it is."

Parker made Nola another egg and right when it was finished and plated the microwave beeped. "The bacon is ready!" Parker announced in a songstress' voice. "Oh dear golly, me oh my, I hope you're not a vegetarian." Parker put a few slices of bacon on her plate, along with his. Grabbing the white plates, he went into the living room.

Earlier he had cleaned off the coffee table and set gold colored placemats his mother bought him, last christmas, on either side of the table. He'd figured they would sit on the ground with their feet tucked under the table and eat as if they were in chairs and the coffee table was a dining room table.

"You should come in here and eat before it gets cold, Princess Nola," Parker exclaimed as he sat the plates on the placemats and took a seat in front of his.

He placed his napkin, that was to the left side of the placemat, in his lap and inhaled the wonderful aroma the food was giving off.

His eyes darted to the doorway to see Nola lingering there. She was, clearly, taking in her surroundings, as if anything was about to jump out and get her at any moment.

"Come on, your food is not going to eat itself - but if you believe that, you should eat it before it eats itself." Parker grabbed a piece of his bacon and shoved it in his mouth and moaned in pure bliss. "I love bacon," he told her with a warm smile, hoping to get her to relax a little.

Nola took one step towards him and the food but then retreated two steps back.

Anyone, not excluding Parker, could see that she was scared and had no idea what to do.

He stopped eating and sat there. He wanted to get up and reassure her that she was safe and no harm was going to come to her, but the sudden movement of standing up would surely frighten her. So, he sat there, "Nola B.," He said her name and when he did she locked eyes with him. "I know I kidnapped you and last night I never replied when you asked me to take you home. However, you must know that over the course of last night I've decided that you are free to leave - any time you want.