Chapter Twelve

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." 

- J.K Rowling

***

Chapter Twelve: 

"Oh, it's you," Parker's mother, Mrs. Sims, said as she opened the door and was faced with her beloved son. 

"Were you expecting someone else?" Parker asked as he felt Nola standing behind him, gripping his coat and trembling slightly. He began to wonder if bringing her here was a bad idea. Yet, he couldn't help but believe when Nola sees how his mother acts and speaks, with no filter, that she will see that he doesn't react or hurt his mom for doing so. In fact, he typically just laughs off what his mom says and replies with a sarcastic response.

Mrs. Sims smiled widely at her son. "I wasn't expecting anyone, to be honest. However, when I heard someone knock I wondered if it might be someone here to kidnap me and take me away from this gosh awful place."

"You act like you have a hard-knock life."

Chuckling, Mrs. Sims replied, "Try living with my husband."

"I have. Need I remind you, I'm your son and lived with you and dad for eighteen years."

"Oh, I forget you were around ... Well, don't just stand there, come in." Mrs. Sims said as she stepped aside and gave room for her son to walk in. It was only when she did that that she noticed something behind her son's back. She decided not to question what it was, figuring she would get a good view of it as he walked in. "A girl!" Mrs. Sims shouted as she got a glimpse of the figure hiding behind her son like a child to its parents when in an unfamiliar place. 

Nola released Parker jacket that she was gripping, for dear life, and flinched back at the loud voice. 

"You brought a girl into my house!" Mrs. Sim said with excitement. Her eyes twinkled with happiness as she looked at her son and then back at the girl he'd brought. "Well, what's your name, Dear?" 

Nola stepped back and looked down at the ground. When Mitch was around and someone asked her that, he would answer for her. So, like a reflex she didn't reply. 

"Her name is Nola, she's my friend from school," Parker stated as he saw she was being timid, per norm.

"She's a girl!" Mrs. Sims gasped in utter shock. 

Parker rolled his eyes at his mom. "Yes, she's a girl, Mother."

Nola didn't know how she felt about the scene taking place in front of her. Only one thing was for certain: Parker's mom would make Mitch's veins boil. 

"Wow, a real live girl. In my house. With my son ... Pigs must be flying! Hell must have frozen over, twice!"

"You act like you've never see a girl before, Mother," Parker said with a smile as he interrupted his mother. 

Mrs. Sims rolled her brown eyes and looked over at Nola. Right off the bat she noted that something was wrong with Nola for the girl was overly shy and timid. Deciding it was not the right time to question it, she looked back at her son. "I've never seen you bring one in my house, though."

"She's just a friend, Ma."

"So, you're still..."

"I'm still what?"

"Gay."

Parker nearly choked on air at his mother's words. "I'm not gay."

"Well, no matter what I'll accept you, Parker. You're my son and any sexuality you hold, I'll embrace and kick anyone's ass that dares to say shit about you and your lover. Just know the closet is a very dark and lonely place-"