Chapter Seventy-Five

Unedited

***

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get—only with what you are expecting to give—which is everything."

― Katharine Hepburn

***

Chapter Seventy-Five:

Nola had opened the apartment door, after looking through the peephole to see that it was Parker's mom. In seeing through the peephole, Nola had not noticed how just how disheveled Mrs. Sims was. However, as soon as Nola opened the front door, she immediately noted the dark bags under Jennifer's eyes and the way her hair looked uncombed and thrown mindlessly into a bun. "Mrs. Sims," Nola greeted, spotting a rather large box in Jennifer's hands. "Why don't you come in?" Nola offered, a tad curious as to what was going on with Mrs. Sims. She had never seen Jennifer so not put together. Another part of Nola was dying to see what was in the box.

Mrs. Sims smiled, at first pleased with the idea of coming inside and taking a break from her busy day. Jennifer began to take a step in but suddenly withdrew back as she quickly thought of the million things she had left to do. She did not have time to take a break. "On second thought, I better not. I've a lot to do today." Mrs. Sims held out the box for Nola to take. "Here, I hope it's what you would have picked for a night like tonight."

Nola was utterly confused, "What I would have picked? What is it?"

"It's what you'll wear tonight, if you like it. If not or it does not fit call me."

Nola knew that she won't dare call Mrs. Sims, it was apparent that Jennifer was extremely busy. "Thank you, I'm sure it's perfect." Nola gave Mrs. Sims a questioning look, "Are you okay? You seem . . . worn out."

Mrs. Sims tried to give a reassuring grin to showcase that she was okay. "I'm fine, don't worry about me. I hope you and Parker have an awesome time tonight. I promise I won't intervene this time."

Nola chuckled, "This time?"

Jennifer gave a short laugh, "Some intervention is needed. Trust me. Anyways, I really should be going. I'll see you later."

Nola said goodbye and went inside as Mrs. Sims walked away. After closing the door, Nola went over to the couch. She sat the box down and hesitantly took off the lid.

***

Parker had an extra kick in his step ever since he had woken up. He was so overjoyed by the date planned because he could not have planned it better himself. Parker just hoped that Nola liked what was in store of her.

His doubts that she would not were washed away each time by Nola's voice in his head telling him to stop worrying. Worry was his bad habit, a trait which Parker had not picked up on until he met Nola. She made him worry but he never blamed her - she was worth the worry,

When Parker reached his apartment door, he was excited to see Nola's reaction to what his mother had bought. Surely, she would like it. After all, when his mother described what she had purchased, Parker could not see Nola in anything else for their date. It was perfect.

Opening the door with a wide smile, Parker came face to face with Nola who sat on the couch clutching a bundle of material. His smile quickly turned upside down when he noticed that she was crying. Closing the door behind him, Parker rushed over to Nola.

Parker saw Nola's puppy beside her, trying to cheer Nola up with licks on the hand and an occasional small bark.

Parker gave a faint grin at the puppy's antics before turning his sole attention on Nola. "What's wrong, BumbleBee?"