Chapter Seventy-Two

Unedited

***

***

Chapter Seventy-Two:

"So, spill," Mrs. Sims asked as soon as they sat down in the food court, of the mall, with their trays of food. Jennifer was so pleased with herself for remaining silent and not badgering Nola with questions about her date. However, it had reached thirty minutes without any mention of the date and now that they were about to sit down and enjoy some food, Mrs. Sims had to have the details handed to her. "What happened after I left the restaurant yesterday?"

Nola picked up a fry, dipped it into her mayo and ketchup concoction before greedily eating it whole. She considered where to start with Mrs. Sims' question. "Well, we ate dinner and then went to the skating rink," her replies were as vague as they could be but Nola's was not one to talk about herself. She felt like it was over sharing if she explained to Mrs. Sims every detail, like how she and Parker ended up talking constantly through the whole date.

None of what they talked about involved Mitch or her past with him, even though a few times the topic of conversation swayed in that direction. However, Parker - and even Nola - was quick to change the conversation. In the end, the date was everything Nola could have dreamed for and more.

Jennifer nearly spit out her soda, "you went there? To the rink?"

Nodding, Nola smiled, "Yeah, I mean we had packed casual clothes to go there. It would have been a shame to let a good plan go because of a mishap." Nola chuckled at Mrs. Sims who seemed to not understand Nola or her Son.

"It was nice," Nola continued. "I actually really enjoyed it being the two of us. We - er - bonded."

Mrs. Sims eyes sparkled in delight, "bonded, aye?"

"Yeah, I mean we talked and got to know each other some more. You really have a sweet son, Mrs. Sims."

"Well, he is half me after all," Mrs. Sims replied with a cocky smirk. Her features turned sincere after a moment. "But, really though I'm so glad that the two of you had a fun despite me crashing it. Which, I really am sorry about. I didn't mean to."

Nola understood completely, "Don't apologize to me, you should talk to Parker though. He's very butthurt."

Mrs. Sims laughed, "I'll be sure to send him some cream for his hurting butt - But, you're right, I should apologize to him. It's just that he's so much like his father."

"How so?"

"Well, when you go to say you're sorry, he'll ask why. You explain why and he asks if you really are sorry. You say 'yes' but then he says 'sorry means you won't do it again' then he goes through hypothetical situations, saying that if push came to shove, I'd do it again.

"Of course," Jennifer added, "I'll try to argue that I'm sorry and if those hypotheticals were to happen, I'd stay on the straight and narrow and not repeat my past sins," Jennifer released a frustrated sigh. "My boys know how to put me through the ringer . . . but, I guess I deserve it."