Chapter Twenty-Five

Unedited!

***

***

Chapter Twenty-Five:

"Hey, BumbleBee," Parker greeted the moment Nola got settled in the car. "How was your first day back?" He questioned as he began to drive towards her home.

Nola shrugged, "It-t was busy. I have a lot of w-work to do in order to-to catch up."

Parker expected that much, "Do you need help with it?" Nola didn't say anything, in fact, she was dead silent. Parker glanced at her, "Nola?"

She looked over at Parker to see him focus back on the road. "Yes?"

"Do you need help?"

Her mouth opened to respond but she quickly closed her lips and remained voiceless.

Parker was becoming unsure as to why Nola wasn't answering him. He decided, after a heavy debate with himself, to let it go.

Most of the ride was filled with the humming of the engine as they drove. Parker thought, a few times, about turning on the radio to fill the silence. But, he didn't want Nola to feel like he was drowning out any attempt she might make at conversation. So, he just remained quiet and attentive to the road.

They weren't but a couple blocks from her home when Nola released a subtle exhale, "I'm sorry." She began to wring her hands and look anywhere in the car, but at Parker.

Parker glanced at Nola for a second, "Sorry?" He looked back at the street before him. "For what?"

"I, sometimes, d-don't know what you want me t-to say," Nola muttered. Nola started to have trouble concentrating on her thoughts and how she wanted to express herself to Parker. However, her thoughts were becoming more and more jumbled with each second and she grew irritated with herself.

"You don't have any restraints, Nola. I want you to say whatever you want."

All Nola could do in response was to nod. She knew now that he was okay with her saying and doing whatever she might please, but there was still hesitation. "I think I wanna see Jackie Weston, on Monday."

Parker's mouth opened in shock, "Really? When did you decide this?"

"Last night I considered the idea more, after ... after talking with your mother. It wasn't until earlier today th-that I officially decided to go see Ms. Weston ... I think she-she can help..."

"I think so too," Parker said as he pulled into Nola's driveway. He raised an eyebrow when he saw a car next to Nola's car. "Who's car is that?"

Nola took a sharp inhale as her eyes slightly widened. "My aunt Suzanna," Nola felt nervousness wash over her. Her aunt never made surprise visits. Nola unbuckled herself and got out of the car. After strapping on her backpack, she closed the passenger door and stood still for a prolonged moment.

"Do you not like your aunt?" Parker asked when he reached Nola on the other side of the car.

She looked over at him and smiled slightly, "I love my aunt but she doesn't come over here unless my parents are hosting something, which is once in a blue moon since they are never here. Or, if they called her over to check up on me because I missed their weekly call." Nola found herself tripping on words as she spoke but she continued on and attempted to calm her nerves.

"Do you think they called you sometime this week, instead of today?"

Nola shook her head as she looked over at the house, "No, she's here b-because of something else." Nola started to walk to the front door with bated breathe. She couldn't wrap her head around why her aunt was at the house.

Nola was taken back by surprise when the door wouldn't open.

"Don't you have a key?"

Nola looked over her shoulder at Parker, "I did."

"Did?"

Nola looked back at the door in front of her. Her heart picked up its pace, "Yes, I did. Mitch n-never believed in locked doors with this house. He t-took my key," Nola didn't say anything more as she knocked on the door.

After a minute, the door opened to reveal Nola's aunt.

"Hey, Aunt Suzanna," Nola showed a warm smile, in greeting, with the intention of seeing her aunt's response. If she gave a frown, she was mad. If she smiled, Nola knew she was in the clear of any trouble.

"Nola," Her aunt responded but did not frown nor smile. Instead, she kept her lips in a thin line.

Parker analyzed the woman standing in the threshold of Nola's home. Her aunt was wearing a baby blue scrubs, which made Paker think she worked at some kinda hospital. Her light blonde hair was twisted up in the back, revealing her pale, heart-shaped, face.

"Come in, Nola, we have a lot of talking to do."

Nola's aunt stepped aside to let Nola in. However, when Parker tried to walk in Suzanna stepped in the way. "And who might you be?"

"Parker Sims, Ma'am." Parker reached out his hand to shake with hers, but Nola's aunt just stared him down with her icy blue eyes. "Thank you for bringing my niece home, safely. But, we have serious family matters to discuss. You can run on home now, Boy."

Parker was taken back by her aunt. "Umm-"

"Aunt Suzanna, it's okay. He can stay-" Nola started to say but Suzanna interrupted her.

"I'm sorry, Nola, but he needs to go home. Your parents are on the way back and we have to talk before they get here."

***

A/N:

What two flavors of suckers did Parker get from Mrs. Peach when he was taken to the school's office, by Mr. Kale?

A. Watermelon and Strawberry

B. Grape and Sour Apple

C. Watermelon and Sour Apple

OR

D.  Strawberry and Grape

***

Please:

Vote, 

Comment, 

and SMILE! :)