Epilogue: One Year and a Month Later

*Few words before you read this epilogue. There's an attached video to this chapter. It's a song called "Take Me Home" by Jess Glynne. Confession: it was what inspired Nola and Parker for me. I hope you take the time and listen to it - I think it's easy to see the inspiration. Plus, it's good to hear the song because it will show up later on in the chapter, FYI. (*I do not own the song or any rights to it*)

Anyways, I hope you guys like the epilogue. I'm aware some of you will be upset because key characters don't make an appearance but I wanted this chapter to be about Nola and Parker - after all, it's their story. . .

Enjoy!

***

Unedited

***

"The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means."
― Oscar Wilde

***

Epilogue: One Year and One Month Later

Nola stared at the screen of her phone with a saddened expression on her face. She had expected him to call but her phone indicated no new messages or calls. Nola felt as if her heart was being ripped from her chest. They never went this long without talking. He always made sure to contact her, every day. But, it had been a week and Nola had not heard one peep from Parker.

Suddenly, her phone was taken from her hands. Looking up, Nola saw Hannah standing in front of her with a pointed look.

"Staring at your phone is not going to make him call, Nola," Hannah stated as she put Nola's phone on the coffee table, creating distance between Nola and the cell. Not saying anything else, Hannah took a seat next to Nola on her couch. Extending the bowl in her hand, Hannah offered Nola some of the popcorn she had made.

"I'm good," Nola said, not feeling the slightest bit hungry. "I just don't understand it. We have talked every single day and he just abruptly stops a week ago."

"You don't think he knows you're back and is pissed that you haven't visited or told him."

Nola's stomach turned and did flips. She had considered that idea but she did not know how Parker could have found out. But, as she thought about it some more, Nola realized that the timelines did match up. She had come back to her city a little over a week ago and around that time Parker seemed to have dropped off the face of the Earth. "I don't know how he could know that, though. No one knows I'm back but my parents and you. My parents wouldn't tell him. So, he doesn't know unless you told him."

Hannah stuffed her mouth with popcorn.

"Hannah? Please, tell me you did not tell him."

Looking over at Nola, Hannah shook her head. "I didn't tell him. . ."

"Then, why do you have that guilty look on your face?" Nola inquired when she saw that Hannah seemed as if she had been caught red handed. "Hannah, you can't lie worth a damn. What is it?"

Hannah swallowed, "I just might have told his mom."

Nola's eye bulged. "What?!"

"When we got back in the country, my phone started to work and I had a million missed calls from Mrs. Sims. I called her back and she said that she had tried to get ahold of me because she had bought me a graduation present. Of course, she never got ahold of me because the second after I walked across the stage to get my diploma, I was rushing to the airport to catch my plane. She did not know I joined y'all last year."

Nola knew that neither Mrs. Sims or Parker knew that Hannah had joined her. It wasn't planned, at all. Hannah had talked to Nola the morning before she left and Nola explained where she was going and why. Hannah had expressed that she wished something like that was around when she went through her ordeal with her mother and Elian.