Chapter Ten

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

- Mae West

***

Chapter Ten:

Parker didn't know if he formed his plan the second they sat down to watch the movie that was playing or if it struck him after staring at the scene aimlessly for awhile. Either way, Parker was completely wrapped up in the idea that was running ramped in his mind.

Thinking about it for a second, he thought he just might know what to do to get Nola B. to being herself.

Yet, after mulling it over for a minute he realized it was cruel. His idea would turn her into being herself for all the wrong reason.

However, he was running low on ideas. So, with a large inhale, he spoke, "You're right," Parker looked over at Nola who was curled up on the other side of the couch. Her eyes locked with his and when he saw the dullness that clouded her green eyes, he knew he needed to do this - for her. "Mitch is coming to get you."

Nola looked at Parker with wide eyes. "He - he is?!"

"Yes, he is. I talked to him after I put up the coloring books and you got all the movies out from under the television stand."

She sighed, realizing her suspicions were all right, "What are you going to tell him?"

"I'll tell him when he comes to get you, that you've been a great girl ... on one condition."

"Anything!"

"Until he comes, I want you to speak your mind. I want you to be honest, rude, a complete smartass - do whatever you feel like doing. If you want to dance - dance. If you want to throw books at the wall - then throw some books at the wall. If you want to eat - eat. Don't ask if you can do it - just do it. Most of all, I want you to say what's on your mind. Have questions, ask. Have concerns, voice them. Whatever you want to do or say - say it."

Nola looked at him with complete shock. He was asking her to do all these things that Mitch had instilled in her never to do. "He - He won't like it..."

Parker shook his head, "Who gives two flying fucks to Friday what he will like and won't like ... if you want a good review, Nola B., you need to follow my rules. If you don't there will be a punishment."

"P-punishment?" She feared what came with that.

"Yes. If you dare ask if you can do something or show no sign of speaking your honest mind, you'll have to do ten push-ups and five sit-ups."

Nola furrowed her eyebrows, "That's it?"

"Yes, that is it - I promise."

It was then that Nola figured something out. This was a test: Mitch wanted her to let loose and then when he comes and gets her, he wanted her to have gotten comfortable being honest and doing what she willed so she would slip up and he could teach her some more lessons. This was some twisted thing he would do...

It was then Nola promised she would go along with Parker requested, but would not get too comfortable speaking her mind and doing what she wanted.

"Okay."

"Great."

"I hate this m-movie," Nola blurted out. She slapped her hand over her mouth, not believing she actually said that. Yes, she planned to go about his request, but she was going to be nice and keep Parker happy.

Astonished too, Parker looked at her with wide eyes, "You hate Back to the Future? It's a classic!"

Nola sighed, knowing she needed to speak her mind or she'd fail this test. "To Kill a Mockingbird, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Arsenic and Old Lace, Casablanca, and the 1950s movie Harvey are classics. This - this is pure junk."

"You like old movies?" Parker asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I ... I like many things," Nola replied. On the inside, she hated to admit but it felt so damn good to speak her mind and say what she wanted. Yet, she knew she couldn't get used to this - it was a test.

"I bet you like Gone With the Wind," Parker spoke.

"Frankly, Parker, I don't understand why you give a damn," She stated as she twisted the famous line of: 'Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.' She wanted to smile and her lips twitched up to do so, but she forced the corners of her mouth to stay straight.

Parker noted what she was doing, "You're not doing what I asked. If you want to smile, Nola B. It's okay. So, ten push-ups and five sit-ups." He stated as he nodded in the direction of the floor.

Nola looked at him, slightly shocked that he was really going to make her do push-ups and sit-ups. She figured he would go back on his word and hit her if she didn't follow his orders.

Sighing, she got off the couch and got on the floor. She was about to do a push-up when she saw Parker get off the couch. Her whole body seized up, fearing he was coming over to her to kick or hit her.

However, Parker instead got next to her and started to do push-ups.

"What - what are you d-doing?" She asked hesitantly, knowing she wasn't supposed to ask questions, but also knowing that according to him, she had to ask the questions on her mind.

He paused his actions and looked at her, "Oh, I forgot to tell you. Every time you have to do push-ups, I'll be doing them too. Every time you slip up on my rules, though, I'll be doing double what I did last time." Parker began to do his push-ups.

Nola stared at him with wide eyes, not believing he was punishing himself for something she did. Mitch ... Mitch would have never done that. In fact, Nola knew if Mitch was in the room now he would be laughing at Parker and telling Nola to triple her load.

"Ten," Parker announced what number of push-ups he was on.

She snapped out of her befuddled state and started to do her push-ups.

Parker lived up to his words and did the same punishment she was doing. However, Nola noticed he did twenty push-ups and ten sit-ups. Double what she did.

"Will I be doing double the number of sit-ups and push-ups every time I don't f-follow your directions?"

Looking over at her, Parker shook his head, "No, just me."

"But - But that means next t-time you will be doing forty push-ups and tw-twenty sit-ups!" She was so confused as to why he was punishing himself for her mistakes and making it worse for himself every time. She should be the one being punished - not him.

Parker shrugged his shoulders, "So it seems." Getting off the floor, he stood up in front of her and held out his hand to help her up.

Nola glanced up at him and wondered what he was doing all this for.

<><><>

A/N:

Please:

Vote

Comment

and Smile!