Chapter Forty

UNEDITED:

***

Chapter Forty:

"I have to say that you really took some swings with that bat," Parker said as they drove to their next destination. He tried to keep the conversation going with Nola because he noticed the more he gave the car silence, she would lose herself in thought. While he, normally, wouldn't mind allowing a comfortable silence to settle between them — today something was different about Nola. Whenever she would start to get caught up in her thoughts Parker noticed a saddened and hopeless expression slowly take over her face. Something was going on and Parker wanted to know what it was that was troubling Nola.

Part of him figured she would open up after taking some whacks at the car. However, once she released the anger pent up inside her, she closed right back up.

"Thank you," she couldn't find the words to tell him just how appreciative she was. His gimmick had given her the chance to let go of some bottled in emotions and provided her with a clear mind. Yet, her troubles were still there and she didn't know how to get rid of them.

"No need to thank me. In fact, I think I should be the one to thank you because you agreed to go on this date." Parker stated with a smile.

Surprising herself, Nola rolled her eyes and allowed the corners of her lip to twitch up. "We talked about this," was all she needed to say.

"Right, we agreed to stay friends for right now. But, some points I would like to make. One, the word date can be defined as not just a romantic but, also, a social 'meeting', like between two friends. Two, spoiler alert, we will end up together-"

Nola's head snapped in Parker's direction, "w-what?" she interrupted him.

Parker glanced briefly at Nola through the corner of his eyes, "I said that spoiler alert-"

Cutting him off, once more, she shook her head, "I know what you said," she muttered. "I thought we, also, discussed this last night and you promised-"

It was Parker's turn to interrupt her, "Yeah, I think your mind is mistaken. I did not promise you anything, I avoided that promise like the stealthy ninja I am."

Nola suddenly remembered that he didn't, in fact, promise he would move on. Things would be simpler, in her mind, if he had.

Looking out the passenger window, Nola instantly thought about Camille and what she could possibly be planning when it comes to Mitch.

Nola glanced over at Parker for a second before turning her attention back to her window. She felt fear and worry course through her veins because Parker would be a target when Mitch gets out. She didn't want Parker in any danger - nor anyone else in her life. 

On top of everything, Nola doubted her strength to let him go. She needed Parker too much already.

Closing her eyes, Nola realized her dependency on Parker. He was starting to become a drug and she felt disgusted with herself. The last person she felt this way was with Mitch, in the beginning of their relationship, and Nola knew how that turned out. While Parker was not Mitch, Nola was still upset with herself for becoming dependent on Parker, especially so soon after Mitch.

Yet, his kindness was what made it hard for her to gather the courage to send him packing — whether it was because of Camille or because of her dependency issue. 

The more he treated her right, being nothing but caring and patient, the more Nola felt unable to let him go.

But, even still, the words slipped out of her mouth. "Parker, can ... can you just take me back to my house?" Nola spoke just above a whisper.

His reply was slow, "Can I ask why?"

Nola wiggled a little in her seat. "No," Her response was short and bitter as she continued to have an internal battle with herself.

Parker didn't know how to react to her, "Something's wrong with you today."

Nola closed her eyes for a second, she knew he could sense something was going on she just didn't think he would bring it up. "Nothing's wrong," she snapped.

Not saying a word, Parker slowly began to pull over onto the shoulder of the highway that they were on. When he was safely in the emergency lane, Parker parked the car and looked over at Nola. "Something's wrong with you today," he repeated.

Nola intertwined her fingers together, she would be extremely nervous if this was anyone else but this was Parker. She was comfortable with the tension hanging in the air between them, as he tried to pry into her feelings and figure out what was wrong with her. "Nothing's wrong."

Parker unbuckled his seatbelt, "Something's wrong."

"Nothing is wrong, Parker."

Unlocking the car doors, Parker glanced over at Nola. "Something is wrong."

Nola narrowed her eyes, slightly irritated, "Nothing is wrong."

Not saying anything else, Parker opened his door and took a step out of the car. Nola glanced out the back window of the car to see that there was not a lot of traffic headed this way and that Parker had parked a good distance to the side of the highway, so he was safe outside the car.

"What are you doing?" She asked, leaning over and looking out the driver's door that was still open.

When he heard her speak, Parker bent down from where he stood, beside the door. "Math time! The next car is about a mile in the distance. The speed limit is 55 mph and let's assume they are sticking to it. That means that you have a little over one minute to tell me what's wrong or I get killed."

Nola's eyebrows furrowed, "K-killed?"

"Yes, killed. I will throw myself in front of the car."

"P-Parker you can't be serious!"

"I am, actually. And, Nola B., you need to start telling me what is wrong or I would have spoiled a false ending." Parker looked at the car in the near distance. "It's getting closer."

Nola blinked, "You're not going to kill yourself."

"I think you have about twenty seconds left."

Nola looked out the back window again to see the car he was talking about fast approaching. She looked back at Parker who had taken a step toward the highway. "Parker, get back in here!" He was crazy, she concluded and he could not be serious.

"Ten," Parker proclaimed, "Nine."

Nola unbuckled and hopped out of the car as quickly as she could.

"Five."

Nola reached the front of the car.

Parker glanced at her, "Any last words?"

Nola's lips were pressed to a thin line.

"Three ... Two..."

***

A/N:

Vote, 

Comment, 

Share, 

and

SMILE