Chapter Fifty-Two

Unedited

***

Chapter Fifty-Two:

"Well, don't you look like a man that has finally gotten some sleep." Said Nurse Heather, who was a woman that had been helping take care of Nola on and off for the past few weeks. While it had been a short time, Nurse Heather was a sociable woman and had come to know and adore Parker. He reminded her a lot of her son, who was close to Parker's age. 

She had grown to worry about Parker, seeing his physical and emotional distress when it came to Nola (who Parker had told was not his fiance, like the hospital believes, but instead a close friend). It brightened Nurse Heather's day that he seemed to have finally gotten some sleep, she knew he needed it.

Stopping in front of the Nurses' station, where Nurse Heather sat behind, Parker allowed the corner of his lips to twitch up. He was finding himself in a better mood that morning than he had been in for the past several weeks, despite the news given to him earlier that day by Mr. Harper. "I did but don't get comfortable with this look, Ms. Heather. I'm here to stay for the next few days," He said, implying that he would soon return to his sleepless zombie state in no time.

Nurse Heather rolled her eyes, "Good to hear you got some sleep, though. I hope you slipped in a good meal too."

Parker's tried to lie and tell her he had but she could tell that Parker was not being honest.

"I'm glad," Nurse Heather replied, deciding she would order an extra tray, when lunch came around, for Parker. She had a good feeling that today she could convince him to eat a hearty meal. "Dr. Pushner came by this early this morning looking for you, she wanted to discuss some test results from yesterday. You weren't here, of course, so she said she will come back by around noon."

Parker nodded, "Thank you." Was all he said before turning on his heel and heading towards Nola's room.

When Parker entered the room, he glanced over at Nola. His heart sank, as it always did when he saw her laying there. Every time there was a small part of him that hoped he would walk through the doors and she would be awake. However, like normal, she was just lying there as if she was peacefully asleep.

Part of Parker held onto the fact that she looked at peace, she did not look as if she was in pain. He could not bare the thought of her being in any kind of pain, just as much as he could not bare the thought of her lasting more day in a coma.

"Are you gonna wake up for us today, BumbleBee?" Parker asked with a small smile as he walked over to her bed. He looked down at her and exhaled, "Pretty please..."

After a second, Parker took off his backpack and sat it down on the ground. He took a single step over to his normal seat, right beside her bed. Reaching over, Parker grabbed his backpack and unzipped the main pocket. He fished out his laptop, deciding that he would get some work done.