Chapter Eighteen

Unedited

***

"Deep connection is the antidote to madness."

― Stefan Molyneux

***

Chapter Eighteen:

The spare key weighed in Parker's pocket as he entered the kitchen. He watched as Nola placed the cake in the oven and set the timer.

"Nola."

She turned her head to look at him. "Yes?"

The air, sweet and hot, made Parker feel as if he was being choked, leaving words to tangle at the tip of his tongue. With the inability to speak, his mind began to race with the idea that maybe this wasn't the best time. He could wait, that was fact. However, Parker knew - deep in his bones - that he shouldn't keep stalling. "We have to go to the police station once the cake is done." His voice was rushed, so much so that he wondered if Nola had been able to decipher a single word. 

On instinct, Nola bit her tongue. Women aren't supposed to ask questions, at least that was what was engraved in her mind. However, Nola had to remind herself that Parker wanted her to speak and ask whatever she wanted. But even still, she hesitated. "Why," her mind began to encourage her to continue. "Why do we need to go to the police station?" 

Parker calculated every possible move from here. He could spill the beans, without beating around the bush, and tell her that she might be going through a psychological breakdown or, "...they want you to make a statement at the police station, regarding Mitch." Parker watched her, waiting for a reaction to what he had just said. 

Relief washed over Nola when she noted that he didn't attack her for questioning him. She could feel herself becoming at ease in his presence, more and more as time passed. She wasn't sure, though, if it all was a good thing or not. 

Nola locked eyes with Parker and noticed, after getting a good look at him, that something was different about him. He seemed worried - more than normal. An uneasy feeling bubbled up in the pit of her stomach and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get rid of it. "What happened?" The question slipped as her heartbeat picked up pace.

Her stomach began to do summersaults, "Did they catch him?" 

"No," Parker proclaimed without blinking. He had a plan.

Slowly, Nola nodded at Parker's answer. "Okay."

Leaning against the fridge, Parker decided to test the waters. "If they caught Mitch, how'd you feel?"

The mere thought of Mitch being caught lifted a weight off Nola's shoulder, but the weight soon came back in tenfold, "Relieved, I think."

Parker nodded, "I know I'd be relieved. If he was arrested, you know that's it, right? He can't hurt you after that."

"He'd end up getting out, though. Which will lead him right back at my doorstep."

"If you're staying with me and that doorstep happens to be mine," Parker stopped talking before his words and imagination got ahead of him. "He won't come here, BubbleBee."

"He has, to be correct."

"How do you know he was here?"

Nola started to wring her hands together, the kitchen lights felt like they were blaring down on her. "He ... He took the key."