Chapter Twenty-Two

Unedited!

***

"There is no illusion greater than fear." 

-  Lao Tzu

***

Chapter Twenty-Two:

Parker's eyes widened when Nola walked into the dining room. "You got up?"

It was Thursday morning and Parker had, previously, been unsure as to whether, or not, Nola would wake up in the morning to go to school. He told her last night, before going to bed, how to set his alarm and said that it was her choice to be in the dining room by six-fifteen for breakfast. If she didn't show by six-forty, Parker told her he was leaving for work and would take her absence as her decision to not go to school. Parker made sure she knew that she didn't have to go to school and no matter what she chooses he would be supportive.

Parker was convinced then that she was not going to come out of her room in the morning.

However, there she was. 

Nola nodded when she reached the table. She saw that Parker had laid out just two placemats before a pair of chairs that sat across from each other. Nola noticed that on Parker's placemat was a plate loaded with toast, bacon, and a variety of fruits.

"I'm sorry," Parker spoke up. "I started to eat without you. I didn't think -," He cleared his throat, finding himself embarrassed and ashamed. He had expected her not to show, so much so that he ate without waiting for her.

"It's fine," Nola muttered as she walked over the chair in front of the second placemat.

"I set a place for you, though," Parker hoped that awarded him a brownie point. "Let me go get you a plate." Parker rushed out of the room.

Nola glanced at the table and saw a yellow glass bowl containing an array of fruits in the middle of the table. Her mouth watered when she saw her favorite - pineapple and strawberries - mixed in. Next to the bowl was a plate with two small stacks of toast.

"I made cinnamon sugar and, also, some plain toast." Parker placed a clean plate on her placemat. "However, both are buttered and I will not apologize for that. Butter is what dreams are made of."

Nola couldn't help but smile a little as she sat down.

"Here's some bacon," Parker scooted a plate towards her.

Nola snagged a couple pieces.

"My mother asked last night if she could come here this morning and be here for you, knowing you were going back to school today. I didn't know what you want, so I told her to just stay at home and let you have your space this morning. Yet, my mother hates being on the sidelines. She sent my father over, on his way to work this morning, with some fresh, cut-up, fruit." Parker slid the glass bowl over to Nola.

She used the wooden spoon that was in the bowl and scooped herself a healthy serving of fruit.

"Would you like cinnamon sugar or plain toast? Or you can have some of both."

"Ummm, just plain toast," Nola stated.

"How many?"

"One, please."

Parker handed her a piece of toast. "There you go," He settled in his seat. "What do you normally like for breakfast?"

"I like this..."

"Okay. Well, if I wanted to switch it up .... what kind of cereal do you like?" Parker questioned with the intent to uncover more about Nola and get a sense on what she likes and doesn't like.

"I don't really eat cereal."

Parker could not believe what he was hearing, "You don't eat cereal?"

"I'm just not a fan of cereal."

"I've never met such a human being," Parker wondered what he would make for Nola on the nights that he would have cereal for dinner. "How are you feeling about school?"

"Nervous."

Parker nodded, "You'll be fine, BumbleBee."

"I hope so ... I do have a question."

"Okay, what is it?" 

"Does ... Does anyone at the school know about my situation with ... Mitch?"

Parker shook his head, "I haven't told anyone anything. That's not to say that Mr. Harper, the officer on your case, has not gone around, asked questions to your teachers and peers. But, I don't know if he has..."

"Okay ... I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell people. I don't want everyone knowing..."

"I understand. I'm sorry for talking to my mother about some of the things you're going through. I talk to her about everything that goes on in my life, including you. However, I've come to realize that I shouldn't be telling her everything, especially if it's your business."

"I don't-t mind you telling your mother anything," Nola admitted. "She's one of the only people that I don't mind knowing personal th-things ... she's like another m-mother to me..."

Parker smiled, "Happy to hear."

"I-I have to go home today after school," Nola randomly announced after a few minutes of comfortable silence.

Dropping his fork, Parker looked at Nola with a wild curiosity as to why Nola wanted to go home. He knew sooner or later she'd want to leave but he didn't think today. "Home?"

"Yes," Nola slowly replied. "My parents call every Thursday after school. If I don't answer they'll send my Aunt Suzanna to check up on me. If that was to happen, she'd stay at the house till I arrive and if I don't show up within a certain timeframe, she'll call the cops." Nola poked around at her food with her fork. Her eyes watered up at the memory of the last time that her Aunt Suzanna had to call the cops.

"Has she had to call the cops before?" The question slipped out of his mouth before he could even think twice. Parker mentally cursed himself out because the look on Nola's face answered his question.

Nola's chest tightened and her breathing accelerated slightly. "Once," Nola replied, even though she knew she didn't need to. She looked down at her plate and realized her appetite was gone. 

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"It's fine," she tried to convince herself more than him.

"...Well, after school I can take you home." Parker paused, "If you want to stay there - at your home - you can. I don't want you to feel like you're stuck here. You are allowed to leave whenever you want."

"I know," Nola muttered, "I just need to be there to answer the call. After that, we can come back."

Parker's heart fluttered, she wanted to stay

***

A/N: 

Please:

Vote

Comment, 

Smile,

and have a wonderful rest of your week!