Chapter Twenty-One

Unedited!

***

***

Chapter Twenty-One:

Nola looked over to the door, at the sound of the doorknob jiggling. Her heart raced, for a second, as she wondered about who it could be. The door suddenly opened but there was a long moment in which no one stepped inside. Nola held her breath and gripped the television remote tightly to her chest.

Parker walked in, smiling, but was taken back by the darkness that enveloped the room. He leaned down and released all the grocery bags that hung from his arm. Once he got them all off, and onto the floor, he reached over and switched the overhead light on.

Nola blinked a few times as she got use to the bright light.

"Hello, BumbleBee," Parker greeted Nola before closing and locking the front door. "How was your day?"

Nola said nothing.

Parker didn't press for an answer as he walked over to the couch and sat down on the opposite end as Nola. "What's this?"

Nola's face flushed red as clicked the television off before Parker could get a good look at what she playing. "I'm s-sorry," Nola mumbled as she placed her hands in her lap.

"Sorry?" Parker was unsure at what Nola was apologizing for.

"I used your Netflix account ... The application was open when I turned on the T.V ... I saw some mo-movies ... and I watched some ... I didn't- ask-k..." Nola's words were rushed and at points, Parker could only get the jest of what she was saying.

"Whoa, Nola, it's fine. I left my Netflix account open. I figured you'd use it." He reached over and grabbed the remote from her. "So, what did you watch?" Parker turned on the T.V. to find out.

"No," Nola breathed.

Parker paused and looked over at Nola.

"I-I'm ... embarrassed."

"Embarrassed?" Parker hated when people felt embarrassed to say something around him. He liked to consider himself an open person that didn't judge. "You have nothing to be embarrassed about, Nola." Without looking at the T.V, he turned it off realizing that if Nola wanted him to know what she was watching she'd just tell him. "My parents are coming over for dinner. Do you like BBQ ribs?"

Nola nodded, "Yeah..." Slowly, she started to feel bad for the way she reacted towards Parker. He clearly was just interested, but she was afraid he'd make fun of her. Inhaling, she looked over to see Parker had gotten up and started collecting as many grocery bags as he could.

Getting off the couch, Nola went over to him and started to grab some of the bags to help him transport them to the kitchen.

"You don't have to help me, Nola. I got them," Parker stated as he tried to take some of the bags from her.