Chapter Seventy-Seven

Unedited

***

***

Chapter Seventy-Six:

"W-What are you doing here?" Nola nervously asked, taking several steps back towards the elevator. She had no plan of staying and figuring out why. Camille, in Nola's eyes, only had bad intentions.

Camille turned away from Nola, not caring if Nola left or stayed but she knew that once she started Nola would not leave. Camille soaked in the city in front of her, finding the sight to be one of the most beautiful things she had set her eyes on in a while. "You know before Mitch kidnaped me, I'd everything in my life planned. I was that girl. If you asked me, I could give you my one year, five-year, even ten-year plan. I was going to go to prom with my friends, graduate high school, move to California, and go to UCLA. I was going to major in Business Administration with a concentration in International Studies. I wanted to travel for a year after school before going to work for a list of companies I had."

Nola stopped trying to leave the roof and just stared at Camille's back, waiting to hear where she was going with her speech.

A tear escaped Camille's left eyes but she quickly wiped it away. She didn't want to show how much the past hurt, she wanted to be strong - even if it was just for that moment. "Mitch threw a wrench into that plan when he kidnapped me . . . I tried to escape, so many times at first but he would beat me. The last time I tried, I didn't think I was going to survive. But, I did and I learned my lesson."

Nola winced at the word 'lesson' because it brought back so many memories. Memories she had been trying to bury down.

"I was the good pet. I did everything he said, knowing he wouldn't even bat an eye before abusing me again. The more I did what he said, the nicer Mitch treated me." Camille looked away from the city and twisted around to face Nola while sitting on the ledge. "I knew about you before he even told me," Camille confessed. "I could tell when he visited you. He typically came back riled up. . ."

"Dr. Weston said that he wanted to kill me," Nola spoke up, taking advantage of the pause in Camille's story. "Why?"

"You were strong. No matter how much he tried to get you to be his perfect toy, you would piss him off even more. You managed to not listen."

Nola tried remembering to be his perfect pet but somehow at the end of the day she had done something to make Mitch mad. It was her endless cycle when she was with him. "Is that why he wanted to kill me? Because I wouldn't listen?"

"No, he planned on killing you before the two of you were even a thing," Camille gave a half smile, "that's why he kidnapped me."

Nola was confused, "what do you mean?"

"He kidnapped me because he knew one day he would need me as leverage. He did his homework, he knew my father was a detective."

Nola's head was spinning, "He could not have known that your father would be put on my case."