Part 20

The Next Day ; 2 days until University. Again. - Cate's p.o.v;

I could barely open my eyes when I woke up this morning, my entire body ached and my head was pounding. I knew I wouldn't like this when I woke up ughh. I needed some fucking water, I feel so drained. I turned over to see Joe looking at me from his side of the bed.
"Good morning beautiful." He said and gave me a kiss on my forehead, I faintly smiled.
"Hi," I said softly. "What time is it?"
"Only 10, we leave today at 5. I'm sure you're not feeling too good so I didn't plan anything really for today, you could make your plans if you were feeling up for them." Joe explained, I sighed and rolled to lay on my back. Joe sat up and moved closer to me, started making trails with his fingers on my arm. "You know this trip has been pretty fun, we had our own little moments," His trail went up by shoulder, sending tingles through my body. "Then we had a few with everyone," His trail came back down, slightly touching my stomach and thigh as he went down. "Now it's your turn." I turned to look at him, then looked down at his touch. I smiled and picked up his hand, sticking one finger in my mouth then pulling it back out.
"I'm sure I'll find something to do." I dropped his hand with a smirk then got up from the bed. I picked up my phone from the side table and went into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I totally forgot that I never responded to Sydney last night when Caspar suggested that I should. But what would I even say? I just ugh.

To: Syd<3
'hey. I appreciate your apology. I just don't really know how to- idk. I come back in two days, and I just don't need anymore problems than I already have.'

She replied maybe a few seconds after I had replied.

Syd<3
'I know. there shouldn't have been a problem with us in the first place, I should've been there when I first heard instead of taking it into my own hands. I should've thought of how Scott treated you when you two were together and not have thought he was a saint the night of the party. I hope you really can forgive me.'
Me;
'I can forgive you, but I don't think I'll ever be that close with you again. I don't want to talk about this anymore, sorry. I'll see you soon.'

Whatever she had sent back, I didn't bother to read. This was my last day here, and in two days, I already have to go back. This time I'll actually stay there, not really knowing how I'm going to manage but I know I'll get through it.
I washed my face, brushed my teeth and put my hair into a bun before walking out of the bathroom. Joe was still laying in bed, he was on his phone before turning to notice I came out. We both smiled at each other and I began getting dressed, he turns his head to look at me as I slipped my shirt on.

"You always look so beautiful, in everything you do. Like an angel." Joe said, interrupting the silence in the room. I shot him a smile then began putting on a pair of jeans.
"Why thank you Joe, but I'm not feeling too beautiful this morning." I replied after sighing.
"Probably because of all you had to drink last night. You did go all out, let pretty loose." He said jokingly.
"Tell me about it, Caspar even got me to smoke with him which I never thought would happen." I laughed. "But I had fun, everyone there made it feel like such a big family. Thank you for everything you did for this entire trip." I walked over and gave him a kiss, he pulled me into a hug shortly after.
"Anything for you, you know that Cate. You're important to me. Always." We pulled away from the hug and I sat down next to him on the bed. I sighed. "What's wrong?" He asked, I looked over at him then looked back towards the wall.
"I'm scared. I'm really scared Joe. To go back there, to see everyone, to see what the whole University is going to know about me before I even know it of myself, to see Sydney, Scott. All of it. I'm scared." I told him. He set his hand on my back and began rubbing it up and down to comfort me.
"I know Cate, I know you're scared. A lot happened to you in that short period of time that you went back, but just know I'm always a call away. Anything happens and I'm there. But like Alfie said, finishing Uni is one of your biggest goals. Do this for yourself and finish what you started." I looked back at him again and smiled. It made me feel a lot better talking to him about how I felt, he knew right where to hit me with the sensitive side.
"You always have the right things to say. Thank you." I kissed him once again before getting up from the bed. "I think I'm going to go find Zo, maybe catch up with her for a little bit." I told him, he nodded his head before untangling himself from the blankets.
"Okay, let me know when you're going to come back, I'll go see what the guys are up to while you're gone." He smiled, then gave me a kiss on the forehead before walking into the bathroom. I took a breath of relief then walked out of the room.

I stepped into the elevator to go down to the lobby, I pulled out my phone to text Zoe to see where she's at.

To: Zo <33
'hey it's cate. what we're you up to today? wanted to see if we could hang for a little. joe planned on hanging with the guys for a few, thought it'd be nice to catch up.'

Seconds later Zoe responded.

From: Zo <33
'hi babe, yes we can hang. im out by the beach near the hotel actually, wasn't up to anything really. come join(:'

I didn't feel the need to respond after that. I put my phone back into my back pocket and exited the elevator. I walked out to the beach to meet up with Zoe. Once my feet reached the sand I instantly felt the cold sensation on my toes. I kept trailing through the sand until I saw Zoe sitting down near the water on a blanket.

"Hey Zo." I greeted. She turned around smiling, patting a spot for me to sit next to her. I flashed a smile back and sat down. She wrapped her arm around me, giving me a side hug.
"Hi love, how'd you sleep?" She asked, leaving her arm around me. She smiled.
"To be honest with you, I don't really remember a lot from last night or how I even got into bed. It's like I just woke up this morning." We both laughed.
"Ah that's funny. Joe actually took you up to bed last night, the rest of us kind of hung out for a bit before heading in. How are you feeling then?"
"Alright, I guess. I talked to Sydney this morning, just telling her basically that I'm coming back, and I know we'd have to see each other, just don't think we'd be friends again." I explained, I let out a sigh.
"And do you think that's the right thing for you? You know, shutting her out?" Zoe asked, I thought about it for a second, then nodded my head.
"Yeah," I paused. "I do. Syd really was cruel about the whole situation, as if I really wanted that to happen to me, like I asked for it" I paused again. "I don't think I could ever forgive her for that." I finished.
"Well good, at least you know where your head is at with her. Friends don't do that to friends, she should have been there and instead she chose to believe the person who actually caused the situation."
"No Zo, it was my fault for getting in the car with him in the first place. I should have never trusted him."
"Cate I've told you this before and I'll say it again," She turned to face me, I looked up at her. "You could not have known that was going to happen. So stop blaming yourself, really." Zo pulled me in for another hug. "You're worth so much more than that, to ever think that something so terrible like that to happen to you, would be your own fault." I started tearing up as she let go. Zoe frowned then wiped a tear that fell down my face. "I love you Cate. Ever since you came here, and came into our lives, you became part of our family. To see how happy you make my brother, and to have you as such a great friend, you mean everything to not only me, but everyone around you." I almost started full-on crying, Zoe really meant what she said. She was so genuine in the sound of her voice, that really came from her heart.
"Thank you Zo, for everything. I know I can always count on you to be there by my side 100%. I love you." We hugged one more time before turning back to watch the water. "I'm going to miss you when I leave. Again. But this time I know I'll have to stay and finish this semester." I told her, she looked at me then flashed a smile.
"I miss you already, but Cate I'm always a call or text away." I smiled back at her then laid my head on her shoulder. I could hear the waves crashing at the shore and the wind kept blowing through our hair.
If only I could freeze time, I'd stay here forever.

-----
10.11.20 - hey future you, how are things? i love you.
9.21.22 - <3 good.