Can We Make This Work? - Andre Burakovsky

My eyes fluttered open

My eyes fluttered open. They stung from the bright light that was filtering along the sides of the black out curtains making my head pound. I rubbed my sore tired eyes before looking around the room.

'We must have had fun last night' I thought to myself a smirk on my face. The room was a mess, everything was thrown everywhere and empty alcohol bottles littered the table tops and counters.

I scanned the room looking for any signs that could explain what happened the night before. I had remembered most of it but parts were still super fuzzy. My eyes landed on Nathan soundly asleep on the couch near the other side of the room. That was the last time I let him talk me into coming to Vegas with him.

"Hey, Mackinnon!" I yelled over to him.  "Get up you'll miss morning skate" I finished tossing my pillow at his peaceful body.

"Ouch Y/N, that got my face" he muttered rolling over.

"Get up you have to get ready" I said making my way over to him and pulling the pillow off his face.

"I need a new best friend" he laughed pulling himself off the couch.

"You wouldn't survive without me" I smirked at him and made my way to the bathroom to start getting ready.

I pulled my hair back and started moving to grab the soap when I heard Nathan's voice from the other room.

"Y/N, I'm going to go get ready wanna grab breakfast before I have to leave?"

"Sure, where are we going?" I asked reaching for the soap before something caught my eye. My mouth dropped open and my heart felt like it stopped. I pulled my left hand closer to my face to make sure I was seeing things right.

My breathing picked up and I felt a panic attack coming on as I admired the beautiful diamond ring that sat on my left ring finger.

"Y/N?" Nathan's voice pulled me from my thoughts. 'Nathan' I whispered, panic washing over my body.

I ran out to where Nathan stood and grabbed his hand. His left ring finger was bare. I let out a breath of relief closing my eyes.

"Y/N, are you ok? You're pale"

"How drunk was I?" I barely managed to get out.

"What do you mean?" He eyed me suspiciously looking between me holding his hand and my eyes.

"What happened last night I can only remember parts. Why can I only remember parts? And where did this come from?" I rose my voice holding up my left hand.

"Holy crap" Nathan whispered taking my hand back to look at the ring. "Is that why you checked my hand? That would be the worst"

I slapped his shoulder bringing him back to reality.

"Nathan this is serious! What did I do?"

Just then there was a knock at the door.

"Come in" we both said at the same time.