New Favorite Thing - Mat Barzal

"I hate thunderstorms!" I yelled throwing the blankets on the bed

"It's going to be ok, Y/N. That's why I'm here" Mat said comfortingly.

"And what if something happens?!" I was getting anxious already and the storm had just started.

"Hey. Hey, nothing is going to happen. We're going to watch a movie, fall asleep and when we wake up there will be no thunderstorm, everything will be just fine and I'll take you out for breakfast" he smiled making his way to me and placing a hand on either side of my face.

"Waffles?" I questioned.

"Waffles" he chuckled giving me a quick kiss.

We settled in bed and turned the tv up in an effort to drown out the storm going on outside.

"You know what I don't get?" I started gesturing my hand towards the tv.

"What's that?" Mat asked looking at me questioningly.

"Why they don't just...tell each other they love each other. It's so clearly obvious"

"Well because then the movie would be over in about five minutes honey" Mat laughed pulling me back to sit back with him and planting a kiss to my temple.

"I mean, I guess" I giggled getting comfortable again.

While the movie was on and Mat kept me in conversation, I was able to slightly forget about the storm. But now that the movie was over and it was time for sleep, it was so very prominent. I knew it was going to be a rough night.

I never knew where my fear of storms came from. I always just thought if there was a storm, something bad was going to happen. I never really knew why, never looked too much into it.

"You ok?" Mat asked laying down next to me.

"Yeah sure, just fine" I lied.

"I know when you're lying to me" he chuckled pulling me closer to him and wrapping his arms around me.

"I'm sorry, I'm trying to be" I stated sadly.

"I'm not mad, I just want to make sure you're ok" he squeezed me a little tighter and kissed my shoulder.

"Just you being here is helping a ton" I smiled. I wasn't lying. Mat being there calmed my nerves a lot.

"I'll always be here to help calm you when you freak out over thunderstorms" he laughed.

I turned so I was facing him still laying down.

"Always?" I asked seriously.

"Always" he smiled "And...forever?" He asked cautiously.

"Wait what?" I asked confused.

"I have a ring but it's in my jacket pocket. I was going to ask you at breakfast but the time just...seems right" he rambled.

"Mat, what are you doing?" My heart rate and breathing sped up.

"I want to hold you through thunderstorms, calm you down when you freak out and don't know why, I want to be there for everything. I want you by my side for everything. I love you Y/N, spend the rest of your life with me?"

"I...wow, I mean" I started unsure how to get the words out. "Of course I will" I yelled excitedly throwing my arms around him.

He pulled me into a kiss then pulled away quickly.

"Let me go get your ring" he jumped out of bed and ran out of the room causing a giggle to escape me. "I got it cleaned earlier today" he said re-entering the room. "I hope you like it" he smiled slipping the ring on my finger.

"I absolutely love it" I kissed him again softly.

That was the day my fear of storms became mostly a thing of the past. Bad storms still kind of freak me out but now, instead of thinking of all the things that could go wrong in a storm, I think of the one thing that went really really well in a storm and suddenly...storms were a happy moment. It always reminds me of the best day of my life. They're no longer the thing I hate the most, they're my new favorite thing.