*Chapter Seven: Paula

I had blurted out my name without thinking twice about the outcome it could bring to me. I told you I'm stupid that way. Elena always got the brains of the family.

"I've never met anyone with the name Mia. Its a pretty name." Paula told me making me smile. She had pulled out the last splinter and wrapped up the ankle that had gotten the brunt of the splinter chips.

"Thanks, your name is nice too. How old are you Paula?" I asked limping back into the room. Paula followed close behind. I sat on the edge of the bed while Paula stood there awkwardly not sure what to do with herself. She looked down at the floor respectfully. It upset me how controlling Leandor is with his pack that they can't even look up at their superiors. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Paula dug the toe of her shoe into the carpeted floor nervously before speaking. "I'm 17. My brothers the third in command." She explained and I snapped my eyes to her more intently. Nathan was her brother? Now that I look at them they do look a bit similar with dirty blonde hair and gray-ish eyes.

"You two look alike." I commented pulling back a piece of loss hair. I was pushing myself to make conversation, but Paula seemed like the social outcast of the pack. It was almost like she was an omega. It wouldn't really make any sense if she was the pack omega while her older brother was the third in command. If so, wouldn't he at least try to get people to show her respect as one of the "third's" blood line? Yet, my expectations for this pack have been placed too high.

Paula took on a new expression at the mention of her looking like her brother. Instead of her normal timid, and nervous self she was now carrying a scowl on her peach pale skin. It was a different and scary look on her face.

"We. Don't. Look. Alike." She state in a low menacing voice. I guess I hit a nerve. I didn't mean too, but it's not like I can take it back. Paula stared at me trying to calm herself down with deep breaths of air.

"I didn't mean to upset you Paula." Told her standing up taking a few steps back and away from the girl. If she decided to go wolf on me I wanted to have enough room for an escape, if needed.

Paula stood there now with her eyes closed and biting her lips. She looked in pain and I'm pretty sure that was due to a part of her trying not to let her wolf out. It would be ten times worse if she attacked me if Leandor found out. I winced at the horrid images of what Leandor might do to her if she accidently allowed her wolf out on me. It's not like I wouldn't be able to protect myself. For crying out loud I've been on the run and hunted down for the past three months by Vampires. I think I can take care of myself with a mere omega wolf.

After a few more nerving seconds Paula sighed and gazed up at me. She let out a timid smile and relaxed drastically. "I-I'm sorry." She stuttered out.

I didn't know if I should be relieved that she calmed herself down so quickly or shocked that it seemed like she had multiple personalities. Werewolves were known to have great genes and we didn't have many weaknesses so to see a werewolf with a mental disorder just didn't seem sane in the supernatural world.

I looked her up and down not sure I wanted to get any closer to her. What if she flipped out again but this time didn't have the fight to stop her wolf? If I could help it I would steer myself clear of anything that could set Elena and I from our escape out of this territory. I didn't need to get hurt anymore than I already was. I subconsciously took a step back towards the bedroom door.

Right now Leandor's looking a lot better to be around than Paula. That simple thought scared me more. This pack is more screwed up than I thought could be possible for a pack to be.

"Oh please Luna I-I didn't mean to- oh my gosh I'm such a freak!" Paula said tears brimming her gray-ish green eyes. She put her hand over them and a sob wracked through her nibble body. It was tortuous to see her crying with out a shoulder to lean on but I couldn't move myself to approach her. I was still fearing for myself with the fact she could still snap and come after me with out any warning.

Before I could even yearn myself to move Paula ran out of the room crying. I had the urge to run after her but yet again, as if glued to the damn ground, I couldn't move. What was wrong with me? I had a heart! I cared about people! I didn't like hurting anyone, so why am I now turning cold hearted?

Maybe it has to do with spending so much time with Leandor. Leandor isn't good for my health I fear. Neither is he a great role model.

I looked to the door Paula ran out of and doubted whether or not to go after her. Finally willing myself to move I slowly exited the room and followed Paula's scent down the corridor and down the stair case. It was a huge place but I could of cared less at the moment.

Looking over the décor a little I noticed it had a somewhat ancient feel to it. Unlike Leandor's room the hallways were painted a deep red. There was gold designs that just seemed to swirl around where ever I looked. Trying to find a picture in the mites of it I dizzied myself. I gave up soon and zeroed in on the single picture hanging in the hallway just before the stair case.

Stopping at it I examined the picture and furrowed my eyebrows trying to piece together who everyone was. There was a women about her late twenties with light brown hair and green eyes sitting on a chair. Behind her was a strong, broad shoulder man with black hair and pale blue eyes. He looked like he carried a dominate personality. My eyes soon trailed down to the young boy about ten stand beside the women. His black hair and stunning green eyes triggered something in my wolf and my eyes widened. Leandor? But he looked so innocent as a child.

"Where do you think you're going?!" The voice of the devil himself cut through the air like a hot knife through butter. I looked up but he wasn't there. I could have sworn I heard his voice yet he wasn't here to yell and scowled me or there to watch my every move.

There was snuffling but this time I heard the sound from down stairs. I slowly peered around the bend in the corner and down the steps. Paula stood there right by the front entrance. She was shaking on the spot. Why? Maybe from crying... I don't know!

"I thought I told you to take care of my mate!" Leandor screamed in her face. She flinched at his rough tone, anyone would, even I did a little. I took a few steps down the stair case and eased my way down to first floor trying to go unnoticed. So far, so good.

"I-I did alpha. S-she's ok now I-I promise." Either she had a nervous twitch or she's seriously afraid of Leandor. I've been afraid but never to the point that I couldn't talk correctly.

What Leandor did next was nearly unbearable to watch. He grabbed Paula's hair in his hand fisting it tightly and yanking her off her feet and to her knees. He bent her head back, forcing her to look up at him. She had silent tears falling Leandor didn't seem to care.

"It's Alpha Leandor to you whore." He growled in her face. She whimpered and I just couldn't take anymore of this.

"Leandor!" I said catching his attention. He whipped his head in my direction and his features softened. Though his features changed a slight microscopic bit, he still didn't let go of Paula as she whimpered and tried desperately to open his hand on her blonde hair. "What are you doing?" I asked.

I could tell Leandor didn't like it one bit that I asked the question. He didn't like that I caught him doing something so low and to a girl so young. No wonder people fear him you can't ever do anything around him with out pissing him off. He's a walking time bomb.

Leandor didn't answer my question but finally let go of Paula's hair pushing her roughly to the floor. She quickly scurried to her feet and went to the door racing out. I didn't blame her.

"Are you going to answer me?" I asked again this time I made even myself seem like a mother scolding her kid. Leandor growled at me. "Don't you dare growl at me you ass hole!"

"Don't call me an ass hole." He said to me and I flexed my jaw, ticked off.

"You're right your not an ass hole, you're a whole ass!" I shot back smirking at how pissed off he looked now. I really got to him I think.

Leandor looked like he wanted to ripe something apart. I wouldn't have been so nervous if it weren't for him looking straight at me at the moment. I fought myself to stay calm and stand my ground I wouldn't allow him to push me around like the rest of the pack he rules over.

Right when I thought he'd attack me he turned hot on his heels roared a thunderous growl heading towards the downstairs hallway. He stormed into the room I found Vincent in last night and slammed the door behind himself.

So... I guess I'll be spending the day with myself.