Thirty-Seven: On the Brink

There were people all around the outside of the doc's room. Sorrowful faces were everywhere. My heartbeat grew faster as the stench of vomit and snow drop enveloped my senses. All I could do was hope it wasn't as bad as it seemed. It couldn't be terrible, Leandor is an alpha. It'll all blow over. He'll get better. He has to.

"Mia." Talon said standing up from where he was sat on the floor. He's expression was grim. It must be bad my wolf whined.

No he'll be fine I reassured her. He has to be okay. He has to. I had to keep telling myself that even though the inevitable was soon to be unraveled. I just didn't know if I was quite ready for the outcome.

"Is he alright?" I asked. Why did I ask if he was ok when clearly he was anything but ok? I looked at Talon as his face fell even more.

There was a shout from the room and I took that as a sign to go in. I walked past other members from the pack. They all looked hurt, vulnerable even. Their alpha was ill, that's never good. This information has to stay quiet. With Luther so close he could try and kill Leandor.

'Over my dead body.' Talon voiced in my head. I turned around to see him close behind me.

I opened the door. The first thing I saw was Leandor's father chocking what I came to believe was the pack Doctor. He was furious. The veins in his neck were pulsing with fury. Kira was stand close behind him trying to pull him away. Her desperate pulls were no match for Matthew's strength.

Leandor was laying on the bed unmoved but still watching everything. His eyes hazy with sleep. His skin was pale and transparent. He looked like a ghost. The only thing still vibrant were his green eyes.

He squeezed his eyes shut at the loud voices and shouts coming from everyone in the room.

"Matthew stop! You'll kill him!" Kira pleaded. Tears were slowly beginning to fall. "Matthew please!" This time Matthew responded by shoving Kira away from him.

"Let me be! This doctor is a fraud saying he has no idea what is wrong with my boy! You damn well do know!" He screamed slamming the poor Doctor against the wall. His head hit it with enough force the paint chipped off. "Now save him!" The doctor whimpered like a dog at the retired alpha's voice. Retired or not once and alpha, always an alpha. Matthew threw the guy across the room and into some medical equipment. The metal instruments fell with a loud clatter on the floor.

"Enough!" I yelled catching everyone's attention. Matthew turned around to face me. His face foaming with anger but underneath that all there was fear. Fear that his only son would die. That's any parent's fear. It is supposed to be the other way around. The parents are supposed to die before their children.

"You have no right to be in here! This is your fault!" He screamed. Matthew went to move toward me but Kira threw her arms around her mate to keep him from doing something stupid. Talon was ready  to jump in front  of me but i looked at him not to. Matthew was family now and we should start acting like family.

"It is no ones fault Matthew. Let the pack Doctor look at him and stop assuming things you know nothing about. Do you have a doctorate in werewolf anatomy and health? No. Okay than please sit down and let the doctor do his job." I explained. Matthew growled at me. I simply ignored it. "Yell and getting angry will do nothing to help your son."

Matthew finally settled down sitting on the sofa that was against the wall. Kira sat next to him whispering calming word no doubt.

I turned around to see Talon helping he pack doctor up. He had blue and black imprints of Matthew hand on his neck. He rubbed at it and swallowed hard.

"Are you ok doc?" Talon asked as the doctor wobbled a little on his feet.

"Yes... I-I should be fine. Call Bradley just in case." I nodded my head mind-linking Bradley to come down and help. I turned around to face Leandor. His eyes were closed.

I was hesitant to approach him. I didn't know what to say let alone stand in the same room. I felt my skin crawl with the anticipation.

Kira was whispering words into Matthew's ear. His eyes were squeezed shut. Talon was helping the doc move around and get the equipment back in order. Though I wasn't alone in the room it felt like I was. Everyone was preoccupied and I was left to figure out what to say still.

What do I say? I'm sorry? Are you ok? How do you feel? What's wrong? What hurts?

None of these questions really screamed I cared enough. How do you show you're mate you care about them in a time like this, other than sex? Because I'm pretty sure that would kill him as much as I would really like to. 

I placed my hand on his chest feeling the rise and fall of his breathing. It was calming, soothing to my ears. I could feel his stead heartbeat trough my nimble finger tips. It was music to my ears. A little smile dared to show but as fast as it appeared it vanished. The heart monitor next to the bed rang alive as it spiked erratically. 

The blood drained from my face as a stared shocked. I was horrified by the sound.

"What's wrong?!" I screamed helplessly as I looked at the doctor. The door to the room opened and Bradley walked in.

"Nothing. It's just the mate bond. You're helping him heal a little faster." He walked over to the counter grabbing a syringe and flicking it with his index finger. "Although it's not fast enough." 

Bradley walked over to Leandor on the opposite side of the bed I was on. He grabbed his arm and injected the fluid in Leandor's forearm. You could see the blackish blue liquid traveling through the veins. There was a small twitch to Leandor's hands but that was all that happened.

"Is that it?" Matthew asked more as ease.

"That is all we can do for now." Bradley explained cleaning his hands off in the sink.

"Now what do we do?" Kira asked worried placing a hand to the cheek of her boy.

"Now we wait." Bradley stated. His eyes locked on me. 'I must speak to you then...privately.'  I nodded my head. He started out of the door, I was close on his heels. No one really noticed as I followed Bradley out of them room and across to Leandor's office.

"What is that you wa-"

"Closed the door first  before we speak." He said cutting me off. The atmosphere changed form relief to now a thickening tension. It was thick enough to choke on.

I closed the door turning around to face Bradley. His features were hard and ridged with strain.

"What's wrong Bradley?" I asked approaching him. "Did something happen? Is Leandor going to be ok?" The questions just rushed off of my lips.

"I didn't want to tell you this in front of everyone. Especially after Matthew just about killed Sebastian." He took a deep breath before he continued. A sense of eeriness descended on us both. "Leandor was exposed to snowdrop." The pit of my stomach dropped.

"That could kill him." I half whispered to myself but Bradley heard me clearly. He nodded his head. I squeezed my eyes shut. This is all a dream and I'll wake up safe and sound in my bed sleeping next to a healthy and strong Leandor. Opening my eyes again reality slapped me in the face. This is no dream this is actually happening and hoping it's not isn't going to do him any good. "Is there anyway to help him heal faster?"

Bradley hummed a few seconds. I could see the wheels turning behind his head but there was hesitation in his words. "There's one way but it's all fantasy. Stories told to children in packs, but hey it's worth a try." There was a glint in his eyes of some kind of emotion. I didn't care at the moment it was irrelevant at the time.

"What is it? Like some kind of antidote?"

"You could say that. It's more like it has special healing properties in it." He told me looking out the window and then turning to face me. "I doubt you'll find one though."

"What do you mean find one? What is it god damnit!" I was becoming impatient. "The more time you keep talking the less time I have to find this thing."

"Alright alright, but you can't say I did tell you so when I said it's a myth. The only thing that can save him is a dose of a silver wolf's blood."

My heart stopped. I was frozen to the spot I stood at. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.