Since the Summer

"Here." Fred handed Emma a glass of water as he made his way to his seat. After saying goodbye to Mary, Fred felt it was time to talk to her about a few things.

She watched as the older man twiddled his fingers around.

For Emma, it would be the first time back to school since Archie's sentencing. She could only imagine the amount of unwanted attention she would get.

"So, Peanut..." He started. "I know your mom had a few things to say about your testimony. I agree with her— we don't know who you are and that scares me." She sighed and nodded.

The entire group: Veronica, Betty, Jughead, Cheryl, Archie, Kevin, Josie all have secret lives, ones' that doesn't incorporate their parents.

He looked at her intently and lightly smiled. "When your mom and I first had you two, I was terrified. We planned for one and got two. And you two did not make it easy. You were always the one leading you and Archie into the craziest things. From telling Archie to sit in the toilet to giving Vegas a botched hair cut."

"You and your brother," Fred shrugged and furrowed his eyebrows attempting to lose his composure. "You guys were the greatest thing we could ever ask for."

Emma stared at her father with immense guilt washing over her. In many ways, her brother and her failed their parents though they would never say it. They did things and experienced things that their parents never wanted them to.

Fred cleared his throat, "I'm sorry that we never knew what was happening with you in Chicago. Maybe I should've asked why you wanted to come back so abruptly or been there for you more while you were away..."

"It wasn't your fault, dad." Emma said quietly.

"Your brother and I should've tried harder. We all played a part in the lack of communication in this family... but are you okay now?"

"I am." The strawberry-blonde nodded her head and smiled at him softly.

Fred searched her face for any sign of dishonesty. "Are you sure that you are? I know you and Jug have been a little distant, s—"

Emma sighed, "Like you've always told me, relationships take a lot of work. We have our ups and downs, but I have people in my life now that are there to help me. I'm okay. I'll be okay." She reassured him.

She watched as her father teared up, something Emma had never seen. She knew her father as the strong, resilient man who did everything to provide for his family.

To protect his children.

"I'm sorry, Peanut." He said apologetically as he wiped his tear. "I wanted to let you know that I spoke to your mom. I think it's best if you stay here."

"Thank you, dad." Emma breathed a breath of relief.

He nodded, "But, if Jughead hurts you-"

"Dad," She reached for his hand and smiled endearingly at him. "he won't. I promise."

Their heads turned at the sound of a knock at their front door. Fred got up to answer as Emma grabbed her bag. "Speaking of the Devil, it's Jughead."

"Ah yes, I could hear my ears ringing. Anything good?" Jughead teased the two as Emma walked through the walkway towards them.

"About you? Always."

He smiled widely at her as Fred rolled his eyes. "Alright you two, get going before you're late. Emma if anything..." Fred signaled her to call him as she nodded.

She knew her father was nervous about her returning to school. He feared that her going back so soon would cause more harm to her than good.

Jughead and Emma walked silently alongside one another. Neither had really spoken to one another in a week except for the day they went to rescue Hot Dog.